sitemap Welcome to the VISAYAN DAILY STAR Website
  logo
Marketplace
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Now Online!!!

the online edition

Google
Web www.visayandailystar.com
Firecracker disposal

Gov. Isidro Zayco (fourth from left), Police Provincial Director Manuel Felix (left), and other officials at the destruction of illegal firecrackers and other explosives at the Capitol yesterday.*

Top Stories

buttonCity readies plans vs. int’l recession
buttonCapitol prioritizing targets
buttonLand acquisition halted
buttonHealth secretary reinstates Bionat
buttonSlapping raps hurled, planter denies claim
buttonFirecrackers destroyed
buttonBalo orders inventory of city hall properties
buttonCop mauled

buttonCall center agent robbed, shot in Bacolod – police
buttonI have no info on party merge

Negros Oriental

buttonFlood damage in NegOr to reach P8 M
buttonDumaguete City to increase taxes
buttonBJMP mulling new Ayungon district jail
buttonBais City to honor elderly
buttonSearch on vs. suspects in slay try

Star Business

buttonBacolod SP pushes website for transparency on spending
buttonMore oil price reductions in January: DOE
button‘Food-for-School’ extended in Western Visayas: DSWD
button‘LGUs into organic farming to get more funds’

Sports
buttonNegrenses go for the ‘big league’, women athletes banner headlines
buttonP.5-M at stake in 5-Cock Derby
buttonAll set for nat’l amateur boxing bouts in Bacolod

City readies plans
vs. int’l recession

BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO

The Bacolod City government is reconvening its local economic council to map out contingency plans to cushion the impact of the international economic recession.

Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia yesterday said “We will try to list down the possible effects of the global economic recession on us.” He said this has affected even first world countries like Japan, Germany and the U.S. “We need to be prepared because the Philippines will not be spared,” he added.

Leonardia said he met with City Administrator Roger Balo to discuss possible solutions to combat the effect of the global economic crisis. moremoremore

Capitol prioritizing targets
BY NANETTE GUADALQUIVER

Negros Occidental Gov. Isidro Zayco yesterday said he has asked the Capitol department heads to submit their programs for 2009 so he can identify the projects to be prioritized this year.

“We need to know where the P194 million fund for development programs will go,” he said after meeting with the department heads yesterday.

Zayco said that after they submit their lists of programs, he will review them, and determine which will be prioritized.moremoremore

Land acquisition halted
BY CARLA GOMEZ

The Provincial Agrarian Reform Office has halted moves for  compulsory acquisition of land in Negros Occidental.

“At the moment, we are awaiting clarification from our head office on the status of properties whose owners had been issued notices of coverage before the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program law expired on December 31,” PARO head Teresita Depeñoso said yesterday.

When the law expired, the PARO had yet to cover 150,000 hectares under CARP, about 50 percent of which were offered under the Voluntary Offer to Sell scheme and the rest was to be covered under compulsory acquisition, she said.moremoremore

Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise!
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com
WebMaster: Mr. Cedric B. Florentino