sitemap DAILY STAR: Business
Daily Star logoBusiness
Bacolod City, PhilippinesWednesday, July 15, 2009
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
P15M in food-for-work rice
released to sugar workers

About 8,000 bags of rice worth P15 million are now being released to city and town governments for food-for-work programs this month to aid sugar workers in Negros Occidental  during the tiempo muerto (dead season) in the industry, Board Member Enrique Miguel Lacson said yesterday.

Lacson, who heads the Task Force on the Sugar Industry, said Office of the Provincial Agriculturist is distributing the rice based on the number of farm workers identified by the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office.

Gov. Isidro Zayco had earlier said that the amount is not very much and he hopes that counterpart aid can be put up by local governments at the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

A PSWDO report released earlier said there are 83,924 sugar workers with 387,608 dependents in Negros Occidental.

An OPA list said the following are the recipient areas of the rice: San Carlos – 64 bags, Calatrava – 272, Toboso – 128, Escalante – 200, Don Salvador Benedicto – 48, Sagay – 376, Cadiz – 624, Manapla – 320;

Victorias – 64, EB Magalona – 352, Silay – 208, Talisay – 616, Murcia – 376, Bago – 496, Pulupandan – 20, Valladolid – 40, San Enrique – 20, La Carlota – 640, Pontevedra – 312, Hinigaran – 344;

Binalbagan – 192, Himamaylan – 288,  Isabela – 368, Moises Padilla – 152, La Castellana – 176, Kabankalan – 712, Ilog – 200, Candoni – 80, Cauayan – 168, Sipalay 20, and Hinobaan – 20.*CPG

 

 

 

back to top

Google
 
Web www.visayandailystar.com
Business
ButtonP15M in food-for-work rice released to sugar workers
Button‘No technical, legal basis for anti-GMO ordinance’
ButtonRent law signed

ButtonGMA to ink med EO
 
ButtonMedical center opens