Dumaguete Mayor Agustin Perdices Thursday welcomed the offer of the Revolutionary Proletariat Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade to help solve the peace and order problems of the city.
Perdices was reacting to a press statement from the Rebolusyonaryong Partido Ng Manggagawang Pilipino that said it was willing to help the city in its anti-criminality campaign as part of their peace agreement with the Philippine government.
However, the method that the RPA-ABB will use to provide assistance will have to be determined yet, the mayor said.
The RPMP-RPA-ABB issued its statement weeks after former RPA-ABB commanding officer Richard “Jake” Rosales was gunned down in broad daylight by two unidentified assailants for an unknown motive.
Although Rosales was no longer connected to the RPA-ABB, the group said in a press statement that they will continue to investigate the motive and the persons behind his murder.
It also called for a deeper probe into other extra-judicial killings in the city and expressed hopes that Rosales will not be used as a scapegoat for the unsolved crimes.
City police chief Supt. Leopoldo Cabanag was earlier quoted as saying that Rosales had been tagged as a gun-for-hire and was being eyed as one of the suspects in the deaths of at least three people in Dumaguete.
Perdices reiterated that while the police have tagged Rosales as a possible gun-for-hire engaged in illegal activities, there is no evidence to prove this.
He also said he has received reports of the presence of hired guns in Dumaguete, and that, hopefully, the RPA-ABB help and cooperation, it will help erase doubts about Rosales.*JFP
back to top