sitemap Welcome to the VISAYAN DAILY STAR Website
  logo
Marketplace
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines Saturday, October 3, 2009
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Now Online!!!

the online edition

Google
Web www.visayandailystar.com
Typhoon Pepeng

A PAG-ASA satellite image of Typhoon Pepeng as of 9 last night*

Top Stories

button Negros, Bacolod brace for two more typhoons
button Gloria puts entire country under ‘state of calamity'
button Former mayor passes away
button Negrense missing, two children dead
button Mobile response stations ok'd
button 3 CAFGUs face summary dismissal
button City traffic rerouted
button Police seize firecrackers
button Iggy stresses importance of agriculture
button Family planning workshop held

Negros Oriental

button AGEPL opposing law cutting royalty shares
button NegOr gov't to implement free school meal program
button ‘Dumaguete to get DFA office soon'

Star Business

button Neg. Occ. products sold out at indigenous peoples' fest
button CARP 2010 budget passes Congressional deliberations
button ‘B' sugar rates up
button Chinky's relaunched

Sports
button RP U16 footballers start AFC bid today
button Negrense boxers eyeing higher rankings

Negros, Bacolod brace
for two more typhoons

BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO

The Negros Occidental Provincial Disaster Management Team and the Bacolod City Disaster Coordinating Council held emergency meetings yesterday in preparation for two more typhoons expected to hit the country during the weekend.

Another weather disturbance with international name “ Parma ” is expected to enter the Philippine area of responsibility anytime according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration.

Bacolod City DCC action officer Jomari Vargas yesterday said they are more concerned and are preparing for the second typhoon with international name “Melor”, in case it changes its path and hits the Visayas area during the weekend or on Monday. moremoremore

Gloria puts entire country
under ‘state of calamity'

MANILA – President Gloria Arroyo yesterday placed the entire Philippines under a "state of calamity," as a powerful typhoon threatened more devastation following deadly floods, her spokesman said.

Spokesman Cerge Remonde said the move would help the nation prepare for Typhoon Pepeng ( Parma ), expected to hit the north of the country today.

Under a "state of calamity," local authorities can use emergency funds and the national government has expanded powers such as price controls. moremoremore

Former mayor passes away
BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO
Parreño Jr..*

Former Bacolod Mayor Amado “Remache” Parreño Jr. passed away at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday just after the 2009 MassKara Festival was officially opened in Bacolod City .

His nephew, Vista Alegre Barangay Captain Jose Antonio Gensoli, yesterday said Parreño suffered a stroke a year ago and had been bed-ridden before he died.

Parreño, who was the first Integrated Bar of the Philippines governor, was regarded by his colleagues, as one of the best trial lawyers Negros ever produced, he said. moremoremore

Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise!
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com
WebMaster: Mr. Cedric B. Florentino