delaying Ayalin manhunt
A police official yesterday admitted that the delay in the arrest of fugitive Noel Ayalin, who has been charged for the March 6 massacre of four barangay officials and for the injuries of three others in Silay City, Negros Occidental, may be traced to unreliable information on his whereabouts that they have been getting.
Supt. Remus Zacharias Canieso, deputy provincial police director for Operations, however, said they are exerting efforts to strengthen their information gathering, and that the manhunt operation is going on without let-up.
Despite the nationwide operations and the P500,000 reward offered for his arrest, however, Ayalin, the former barangay captain of Kapitan Ramon in Silay City, has been elusive to police tracking teams, five months after the incident.
Canieso assured the families of the victims that they are not sleeping on the job, and that, the manhunt operation against Ayalin is an ongoing effort.
Supreme Court Administrator and spokesman Jose Midas Marquez had earlier advised families of the victims of the shooting rampage to also seek the help of the Department of Justice, for the speedy disposition of cases against Ayalin.
Ayalin was denied bail by Silay Regional Trial Court Judge Felipe Banzon for multiple murder and frustrated murder charges.
Police records show that Ayalin tops the list of the 10 most-wanted persons in Negros Occidental, with the other massacre suspect Romeo Corbo next to him on the list.
Robert Corbo, brother of Romeo, who was tagged by a witness as an alleged accomplice in the massacre of elderly couple Ranulfo and Elsa Javellana, and their daughter, Gina Zaragosa, was arrested Friday in Manapla, Negros Occidental.
The Corbo brothers are facing three counts of murder and frustrated murder in court that also denied them bail.
Romeo also faces additional charges for frustrated murder and malicious mischief, in connection with the failed assassination attempt on broadcaster Ferdinand “Bambi” Yngson, a nephew of the Javellana couple, in 2007.
Robert, who was endorsed to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology for detention, vehemently denied any participation in the killing of the Javellana couple.*GPB
Settlement reached in
Bago road mishap
A settlement was reached between the family of a policeman who died in an accident at the highway in Brgy. Taloc in Bago City, Negros Occidental, Tuesday, and the owner of the truck that rammed him, Supt. Simeon Gane said yesterday.
Gane, head of the Bago City police station, said the two parties met at the police station yesterday where they discussed a settlement.
He said that, apparently, the family of Police Officer 1 Martin Sioson is no longer interested in filing charges against truck driver Noel Cacas, 29, of Tanjay City, Negros Oriental.
Cacas had already been released from the Bago City Police detention cell yesterday, Gane told the DAILY STAR.
Sioson, 27, of Brgy. Napoles, Bago City, was rushed with multiple injuries to the Bago City Hospital but was declared dead on arrival, police records showed.
Initial investigation conducted by the traffic division of the Bago City police showed that Sioson had come from work and was heading south of the highway on his motorcycle at about 11 p.m., while the truck, which was heading to the opposite direction, intruded on the lane travelled by the motorcycle, causing the collision.
Bacolod City Police Office Director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, yesterday said they will give financial aid to the family of Sioson, who was a member of the Public Safety Management Battalion detached service assigned at the Bacolod City Police Station 8, at the time of his death.*APN
A suspected pickpocket and a snatcher were apprehended by Stations 1 and 4 policemen Wednesday in Brgy. Villamonte, and at the downtown area of Bacolod City.
Police yesterday identified those arrested as Jenelyn Soreño, 25, of Purok Avocado in Brgy. 20, and Robert Taledo, 21, of Purok 6 in Sitio Magsungay, Brgy. Singcang-Airport, both in Bacolod.
Soreño was reportedly caught while in the act of stealing the wallet of Salome Nad by Police Officer 2 Alfred Tumalaytay at the China Mart Enterprises, Luzuriaga Street, Bacolod.
Tumalaytay seized from Soreño the wallet of Nad with P5,000 in cash, identification and credit cards during her arrest, the police said.
Taledo was arrested by traffic enforcer Roland Dumdum at the Ceres Terminal in Brgy. Villamonte at about 5 p.m. Wednesday, after he allegedly snatched the cellular phone of Chona Acosta, 22, of Brgy Madalag in E.B. Magalona town, Negros Occidental.
Acosta said she was on board a jeepney plying the Shopping-Libertad route when Taledo suddenly grabbed her cellular phone valued at P25,000 and fled.
Dumdum, who saw the incident, chased Taledo, arrested him, and recovered Acosta’s cellular phone.
Meanwhile, Trina Daniel, of Brgy 36, Bacolod said she was walking at Quezon Street with Erik Biako when a man approached them and declared a hold-up at about 10:45 p.m. Wednesday.
Daniel said the man took her shoulder bag, with undetermined contents, boarded a motorcycle and escaped with a companion.*APN