Moises Padilla is placing only five of its 15 barangays under a state of calamity due to damage caused by recent flooding, its Mayor Francisco Nazareno said yesterday.
To be declared under a state of calamity, Nazareno said, are barangays Inolingan, Quintin Remo, 2, 3 and 4.
He said the state of calamity will be declared when the town Sangguniang Bayan convenes Wednesday. It is needed to enable the town government to use its calamity fund to aid those affected.
Last week floodwaters washed away six houses and damaged nine others and a hanging bridge in Barangay 1 of Moises Padilla.
Nazareno said Gov. Alfredo Marañon sent cash assistance to those who lost their houses through Board Member Melvin Ibañez and Provincial Social Welfare Officer Liane Garcia yesterday. He said rice, sugar and banana fields were also damaged by the floods in the five barangays.
The rains also caused cracks in the soil in Sitio Manaol, Barangay Quintin Remo in Moises Padilla, he added.
Last week Isabela officials also declared a state of calamity after floods hit their town.**CPG