A state of calamity was declared yesterday in 12 barangays of EB Magalona that were hit by flashfloods Thursday that affected about 5,635 families, town Mayor David Albert Lacson said.
The town’s Sangguniang Bayan unanimously approved the declaration, Lacson said.
The 12 barangays are Tabigue with 900 families affected, Damgo – 605, San Jose – 568, Poblacion 2 – 566, Sto. Niño – 500, Pobacion 3 – 528, Pasil – 700, Latasan – 127, Poblacion 1 – 220, Alicante – 695, Tuburan – 226 and Manta-angan.
Lacson thanked the members of council for acting quickly in declaring the state of calamity, saying that they really need an ample amount to buy relief goods such as rice, noodles and sardines to address the immediate needs of the affected families.
As of yesterday, the EB Magalona government had purchased 121 sacks of rice, noodles and sardines for the flood victims, whose belongings in their houses had been damaged by the flood waters.
The office of Rep. Alfredo Abelardo Benitez (Neg. Occ., 3rd District) also sent rice, sardines and noodles as assistance.
All casual employees in the town were tasked to pack and distribute the relief goods to affected barangays.
“We are also hoping that the province, as well as the Department of Social Welfare and Development in Region 6, could also spare some amount or goods for us,” Lacson said.
Lacson said dredging of the shorelines in the coastal barangays and other waterways will be undertaken to address the flooding problem.
He said he has discussed the need for dredging with Benitez and the congressman has agreed to help EB Magalona.
An assessment of the flood damage to crops in EB Magalona was underway yesterday.*CPG