Brgy tanod hacked
A barangay tanod is now confined at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital after his neighbor allegedly hacked him in Brgy. 16, Bacolod City, Monday.
The victim was identified by Station 1 commander, Chief Insp. Luisito Acebuche, yesterday as Gonzalo Villanueva, 61, of Purok Kingfisher,Brgy. 16.
Villanueva told the police he was coming out of his house when his neighbor Rene Villanueva, “alias Scarface”, met and suddenly shot him twice, but missed.
The victim also claimed the suspect then drew his bolo, hacked him on the head, and fled on a motorcycle.
Initial investigation conducted by Police Officer 3 Celito Dullan showed the hacking may have been triggered by an old grudge.
He added that they were receiving unconfirmed reports that the two had a misunderstanding over their share from the sale of stolen items.
Acebuche said they are now readying charges against the suspect, who remained at large as of press time yesterday.
Meanwhile, Station 7 operatives are eyeing a gang war behind the killing of a reveler in Brgy. Alijis,Bacolod, Sunday.
Killed was “alias Joshua”, of Purok Saturn in Brgy. Handumanan who succumbed to head injuries on the way to the CLMMRH, while his neighbor Jimboy Paglumotan, 19, was also treated at the same hospital for injuries on his brow.
Station 7 chief, Insp. Emmanuel Misajon, said that as of yesterday no one has claimed the body of “alias Joshua” fromFuneraria Angeles in Bacolod.
Misajon said they are having a hard time resolving the case because of the inconsistent statements of Paglumotan.*APN
licenses seized: TMU
The Bacolod City Police Office Traffic Management Unit and the Bacolod City Traffic Authority Office have confiscated 815 licenses since January 24 from erring drivers who do not wear their helmets, TMU head, Chief Insp. Levy Pangue, said yesterday.
Pangue said that the TMU and the BTAO personnel were deployed in the main thoroughfares of Bacolod as their “No helmet, No Travel policy” is continuously being implemented.
He again appealed to motorcycle drivers to wear their helmets for their safety, since at least 60 percent of those who died from motorcycle accidents were not wearing helmets.
Pangue added that they are now mapping out plans on how to decongest traffic at La Salle Avenue, following several complaints from the students and teachers of the University of St. La Salle.
At a peace conference and dialog at USLS Monday, students aired out their concern that during peak hours, the traffic in front of their school swells because of illegally parked tricycles and jeepneys.
Pangue said they apprehend drivers who illegally park their tricycles and jeepneys in front of USLS, the problem is, when the traffic enforcers are no longer there, they return to the area.
With the reactivation of the police community assistance center in the area, Pangue said, they hope to be able to ease the swelling traffic at La Salle Avenue.
He also disclosed that they are set to meet with officials of barangays Villamonte and Mandalagan today to tackle the concern.*APN
on fight vs. rebels
Army soldiers remain focused on their mandate to clear Western Visayas of armed insurgents, and be of service to the people, amidst an alleged corruption scandal in the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Maj. Gen. Vicente Porto, 3rd Infantry Division commander, said yesterday.
Porto, who supervises the internal security campaign in Negros and Panay islands, said “ the 3ID is not affected at all and remains steadfast in performing its mandate”.
The Philippine military has been rocked anew by a corruption scandal after a former military budget officer exposed before a Senate hearing that several former AFP chiefs received millions of pesos in “send-off” money.
Retired Lt. Col. George Rabusa, former AFP budget officer, told the Senate last week that former chief of staff Angelo Reyes received P5 million monthly during his 20-month stint as AFP chief, and P50 million in send-off money when he retired.
“We have tasks to do and our troops on the ground are fully committed to perform them,” Porto told the DAILY STAR.
He said the AFP has indicated its willingness to support any investigation by competent authorities on the revelations of Rabusa. “We hope that these will shed light on what transpired and help allow the law to take its due course,” Porto said.
Since the corruption issue raised against Maj. Gen. Carlos Garcia, former AFP deputy chief of staff for Comptrollership, from 2001 to 2004, Porto said the military has already initiated institutional and significant reforms, including the abolition of such position and office, to stop such practices from happening again.
This was also in response to the clamor for reforms in the AFP, which was raised by the mutineers during the Oakwood incident in 2003, he added.
The deactivated Office of the AFP Deputy Chief of staff for Comptrollership was replaced by four independent offices, in order to institute fiscal reforms and control, and strengthen the check and balance system.* GPB