Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
URBANO KILLING
Rapiz, 14 policemen to
face admin charges
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

Administrative charges have been recommended for a police chief and 14 of his men, in connection with the killing of Police Officer 2 Johnny Urbano in a cockpit in Escalante City, Negros Occidental, on November 28 last year.

Senior Supt. Allan Guisihan, police provincial director, yesterday said he has re-affirmed the recommendation of the Task Group Escalante to file administrative charges against Chief Inspector Santiago Rapiz, Escalante police chief, and 14 other policemen for their alleged delay in responding to the killing of Urbano, and against others who did nothing, and fled from the scene.

Guisihan, however, said Rapiz and seven Escalante policemen, who are members of the alert team, will not be relieved, except the seven others who were at the cockpit when Urbano was brutally killed allegedly by New People’s Army hitmen inside the cockpit in Brgy. Balintawak, Escalante City.

Investigations of the task group showed that seven Escalante policemen were present and had witnessed the killing of Urbano.

Police Supt. Arnel Arpon, head of the Task Group Escalante, said the seven policemen who witnessed, but did nothing during the assassination of Urbano, will be charged with serious neglect of duty and less grave misconduct, while the seven members of the Escalante police alert team at the time of incident, face charges for simple neglect of duty.

Rapiz, the Escalante police chief, on other hand, will be charged with serious neglect of duty, under the principle of command responsibility.

Analee Urbano, wife of the slain policeman, had claimed that the Escalante police responded to the killing of her husband, a former close-in security of former Vice-Mayor Santiago Barcelona, arrived at the scene of incident, an hour later.

Maintaining that he has not remiss in the performance of his duty, Rapiz said “I will face any administrative case filed against me. I will follow any legal orders from the higher command,” he added.

Guisihan said that due process will be strictly observed for those facing administrative charges. “The result of the investigation is not yet conclusive,” he clarified.

He said the respondents will be required to present their counter-affidavits before the PNP Legal Service, which will determine whether they should be exonerated or held administratively.

Urbano succumbed to eight gunshot wounds, and responsibility for his  “summary execution” was claimed by the Roselyn “Ka Jean” Pelle Command, in a statement released to  media outlets in Bacolod City.*GPB

back to top

Google
 
Web www.visayandailystar.com
Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonRapiz, 14 policemen to face admin charges
Button4 of 8 rebels linked to slay known
ButtonP50 wage hike bid to be filed soon
ButtonCity prepared for rainy season, disasters
ButtonGarbage collection back to normal
ButtonUnfair, mayor says on TF probe report
ButtonCunanan passes away
ButtonNegrense appointed to EDSA commission
ButtonGuara, 2 others  injured in mishap
ButtonNAPOLCOM to improve recruitment process
ButtonNew houses for 50 families
ButtonStatus quo ordered in port takeover suit

ButtonKatiklan wins grand tribal competition
ButtonCadiz Dinagsa 2011 contest
Button‘Former executive aide died of cardiac arrest’