Negros Oriental provincial police director, Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, appealed Monday to the public to be cautious about passing on unverified information about groups suspected to be planning to stage hostilities or commit felonies in Dumaguete City and other parts of Negros Oriental.
Lawas was reacting to reports that a group of Muslims that had arrived in Dumaguete, is planning to rob banks and other financial institutions.
Lawas said there was a breakdown in communication because the original message only mentioned the presence of Badjaos near some banks.
The text message had already been trusted out of context when released to bank managers and officials, and alerted them of possible attacks, he added.
Lawas said that information did not reach him and was released without his clearance.
He said the act of informing the banks about the purported intelligence report was done in good faith but with “overzealousness”.
“In fairness to our Muslim brothers and sisters, we are trying to avoid branding them or identifying them with notorious groups,” Lawas said.*JFP
back to top