Barangay 1 in Bacolod City was the next barangay to be “sealed off” by the City Police Anti-Illegal Drugs Task Force to curb the illegal drug trade in the area, Task Force deputy team leader Chief Insp. Noel Polines said yesterday.
Polines said they received eight additional policemen yesterday aside from the 30 initially deployed in Barangay 2, to help in the anti-illegal drugs campaign.
He said that they met with the officials of barangay 1 and they assured them of their cooperation, especially now that they have already identified some individuals in the barangay, who are involved in the illegal drug trade.
Since the “seal-off operation” started in Barangay 2 Monday last week, at least five persons have been arrested by Anti-Illegal Drugs Task Force operatives, Polines added.
Jocelyn Cawaling, 43, of Purok Sigay and Melchor Cahilig, 24, of Purok Cagaycay in Brgy, 2, Allan Edward Tiano, 25 of Regent Pearl Homes in Brgy, Alijis, Reggie Cadiz, 22, of Rio Vista in Brgy. Taculing and his 16-year-old neighbor, whose name is being withheld by the DAILY STAR, who were identified by the operatives of the task force Friday and Thursday last week in Brgy. 2.
Polines said they have filed charges against the suspects, who are detained at Police Station 2.
The Task Force also sealed off Barangay 22 last week and deployed a 20-man team in the area to make sure that no illegal drugs are brought in or out of the area.
The sealing-off operations in Barangays 1, 2 and 22, were ordered by Police Regional Office-6 Director Chief Supt. Cepriano Querol as they are considered as seriously affected by illegal drugs, with at least two percent of their population either users or pushers.*APN