Drowning victim’s family
to file case vs. teenager
Members of the family of a 6-year-old boy who allegedly drowned Tuesday in a river at Brgy. Zone 15, Talisay City, Negros Occidental, yesterday said they will press charges against the 17-year-old, whom they suspect may have something to do with his death.
Jocelyn Tingson, the victim’s mother, said she was informed by a doctor who had conducted an autopsy, that he had noticed contusions in the neck and bruises in her son’s body.
Inspector Pabiolo Ortiz, Talisay deputy police chief, however, said they have not been furnished a copy of the medical findings by the family of the victim yet.
Ortiz said they may be forced to release the suspect, who is now under the custody of the City Social Welfare and Development Office, if the aggrieved party fails to file charges, within the reglementary period of 36 hours, which is expected to end Monday.
Otherwise, the police may be held liable for arbitrary detention, he added.
But Ortiz said the family of the victim can still file charges, even if the teenager is freed from the DSWD’s custody.
Initial investigations of the Talisay police showed that the victim left his residence at about 4 p.m. Tuesday in Brgy. Zone 15, Talisay City. More than two hours later, the body of the minor was found floating in a mangrove area of the river, Ortiz said.
Police investigation further showed that the body of the victim bore scratches, which Ortiz said, may have been inflicted by shells at the mangrove area.
Ortiz said the 17-year-old confessed to have been swimming with the victim in the river. However, the teenager claimed that the 6-year-old had already gone ashore when he left him.
While the 17-year-old admitted that he was drunk, he claimed innocence from accusations hurled against him by the family of the minor, Ortiz said.*GPB
TMU seizes more
The Bacolod City Traffic Management Unit confiscated 151 more driver’s licenses from motorists who were not wearing their crash helmets since Monday as the “No Helmet, No Travel” drive continues, Chief Insp. Levy Pangue said yesterday.
Pangue, TMU head, said he deployed the personnel of the Bacolod Traffic Authority at Lacson, Araneta and Lopez Jaena streets to check on erring motorists.
On Friday last week, TMU and BTAO personnel confiscated 115 drivers licenses, impounded two undocumented taxis and two colorum tricycles.
Pangue reiterated his call for motorists to wear their crash helmets when they travel, not only because there is a law but also because it is for their own safety.
Children below 7 years old are also not allowed to ride motorcycles as it is dangerous, he stressed.
He had earlier disclosed that at least 60 percent of those who died from motorcycle related accidents were not wearing their helmets.
Pangue also said that the non-functioning traffic lights at the city’s main thorough fares are already fixed. Several accidents before were blamed to non-functioning traffic lights.*APN