Follow us on:
facebooktwitter
logo
Marketplace
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads

Google
Web www.visayandailystar.com
Earthquake

Ronnie Baldonado photo

The red dot in this PHIVOLCS map shows the epicenter of the 6.2 magnitude earthquake  78 km south and  42 degrees west of Cauayan.*

Top Stories

button8,000 in south flee amid tsunami fears
buttonUS grants PHL add’l sugar quota
buttonSuspension of 17 in Silay ordered
button5 face large scale estafa charges
buttonPNP alert up for rebel attack on Ceres buses
buttonLapore new Ceneco president
buttonVM could face raps after raid

buttonBacoleño meted 15 years for drugs
buttonWoman takes son hostage
buttonFarmer denies harassment
buttonCops nab four rob suspects
buttonTask group to  probe robbery, rape

Negros Oriental

buttonEarthquake rocks NegOr
buttonVM seeks update on drainage system
buttonCHR probes ‘maltreatment’ of detained minor offender
buttonDENR reviews MOA on greening program
buttonFU adds 5 corporate members
buttonNIA earmarks funds for prov’l irrigation

Star Business

buttonOil prices hiked by P2 per liter‏
buttonBiscom planters demand release of 3% labor share
buttonAyala breaks ground for North Point project
buttonADB, DAR to inspect local outputs

Sports
buttonNietes’ world title fight set in Bacolod Sept. 10
buttonPineda, Javier lead top bowler contest
buttonCity athletes get incentives
8,000 in south flee
amid tsunami fears
AS QUAKES, AFTERSHOCKS HIT NEGROS
BY CARLA GOMEZ

About 8,000 residents of Sipalay City and Hinobaan town in Negros Occidental that face the Sulu Sea evacuated to higher ground following a 6.2-magnitude quake at 4:47 a.m. yesterday, in fear of a tsunami, although no warning had been raised by authorities.

In nearby Cauayan town, panicking parents also pulled their children out of school as news spread of evacuations in neighboring areas.

Classes were suspended in Sipalay City, and Hinobaan and Cauayan towns.moremoremore

US grants PHL
add’l sugar quota

BY CARLA GOMEZ

The Office of the United States Trade Representative has announced that its has awarded the Philippines an additional 2,841 tons share of the US sugar quota, Sugar Regulatory Administrator Gina Martin said yesterday.

 The  2,841 tons,  on top of  16,807 tons share  earlier allocated to the Philippines,  brings its total additional share for 2011 to 19,648 tons, she said.

“The additional US quota is good news for the  industry. The US market offers a better price than the world market. More important, if we ship more sugar to the US, it will lessen our stock balance by the end of this crop year and,  hopefully, it will result to more favorable prices during the opening of the next milling season,” Enrique Rojas, president of the National Federation of Sugarcane Producers, said yesterday.moremoremore

Suspension of 17
in Silay ordered

BY CARLA GOMEZ

Deputy Ombudsman  for the Visayas Pelagio Apostol has ordered   the Civil Service Commission  to implement  eight-month  and one day suspensions without pay on 17 Silay City government employees, who are facing an anti-graft and corrupt practices case before the Sandiganbayan for an P18 million computerization project.

Pelagio, in  his July 6 order, a copy of which was furnished the DAILY STAR by complainant Lindy Chan yesterday, ordered the suspension of  City Administrator Ignacio Salmingo, OIC City Treasurer Elsie Jimenea, OIC City Accountant Emmanuel Arsenal, Bids and Award Committee chair and City Legal Officer  Kara Aimee Quevenco;moremoremore

Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise!
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com
WebMaster: Mr. Cedric B. Florentino