Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
 
Bacoleños return from Libya
BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO

An Overseas Filipino Worker employed in Libya returned to Bacolod City yesterday while two others are now in Manila.

Jeff Esperanzate of the Sectoral Concerns Office of Bacolod yesterday said Melanio Berueda Jr. of Brgy. Taculing, Bacolod City, arrived in the city last night, while Eduardo Martizano of Sum-ag and Leonardo Cumawas of Villamonte are now in Manila.

He said the Sectoral Concerns Office of the City Mayor’s Office has been closely coordinating with the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, Libya to seek assistance for OFW’s from Bacolod City caught in the Libyan conflict.

Esperanzate said OFW’s from Bacolod who are employed in Libya are now safe and that those left behind are in other countries and just waiting for their flight to the Philippines.

He said Berueda’s family was surprised to see him last night since they thought he was still in Manila.

Buerueda and Cumawas were employed by ANC Alnahr in Tripoli, Libya as surveyor, and locomotive crane operator, respectively, while, Martizano was employed by Jabel Oil Services as a heavy equipment mechanic.

Records from the Sectoral Concerns Office showed that Noel Ricablanca and his family are also among the OFW’s from Bacolod caught in the Libyan conflict together with Janelle Ann Torres Braza of Brgy. Taculing.

Ricablanca and his wife, who teaches in a nursing school, have opted to stay behind and only their sons John Carlo and Joseph Joshua are coming home. The two boys were reported to be at the Jerba, Tunisia border being assisted by the Department of Foreign Affairs-Libya last week.

When contacted by the Sectoral Concerns Office, Braza, a nurse at Al Hawari Hospital in Benghazi, Libya said Benghazi is peaceful and is now in the hands of the opposition group.

DFA assured it will pick up all 90 Filipino nurses and doctors and bring them to a ship that will ferry them to Greece for their flight to Manila.*CGS

 

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonGuv may offer reward as killer eludes arrest
ButtonSilay SP declares 16 days of mourning
Button2 could face parricide for ma’s death
ButtonBacolod dads oppose SC ruling on cities
ButtonBacoleños return from Libya
ButtonWomen’s day rallyists call for RH bill
ButtonDynamic again submits lowest bid for hospital
ButtonMajor AFP reshuffling looms
ButtonIt’s Ash Wednesday
Button2,000 cops charged for drugs
ButtonNegrense nabbed for extortion
ButtonAIDS patient dies
ButtonGolez  pushing for 2 flyovers
ButtonZayco marks 64th birthday
ButtonDocumentary fest at USLS today