Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesTuesday, March 15, 2011
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
More funds set for
summer program

BY RENE GENOVE

The Department of Labor and Employment has allocated an additional P400,000 for the agency’s Special Program for Employment of Students in Negros Oriental this year.

The development is expected to hike the number of SPES beneficiaries in the province, which was pegged at 1,100 students in 2011.

Kendrick Villaluz the Negros Oriental DOLE officer, said the SPES program now has P1.4 million, which will be distributed to the local government units and the private sector who will be taking part in the summer program.

These are the local government units of Dumaguete, Sibulan, San Jose , Amlan, Tanjay, Bais, La Libertad, Canlaon , Valencia , Sta. Catalina, Bayawan and Basay, Silliman University , Foundation University , St. Paul University of Dumaguete, Cang’s Inc., Holy Child Hospital , and geothermal giant Energy Development Corporation.

Under the SPES, the acceptors pay 60 percent of the salaries of the student workers while the national government, through the DOLE, covers the remaining 40 percent.

College students are prioritized for the SPES although if the quota is unmet, high school students may also apply and qualify for the program that runs not less than 20 days minimum and no more than 45 days maximum, Villaluz said.

Private acceptors are being urged to offer a salary not less than the minimum wage, currently at P255 a day here, although LGUs are unable to do the same as they are reliant on available funds, added Villaluz.

Dumaguete City has already pledged to increase the number of SPES beneficiaries this year to 200, from last year’s 150 student workers, according to Villaluz.*RG

back to top

Negros Oriental
ButtonNegOr cops arrest more suspected drug pushers
ButtonHelp campaign, PNP urges
Button
Text rumors increase sale of betadine
Button
‘Insurgency, crimes drop’
ButtonLawas: No special treatment for jailed Bayawan policeman
ButtonMore funds set for summer program
Button21 join field camp at Silliman