Descallar to remain chief
of Escalante police office
Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz yesterday said he is discouraging the relief and transfer of police chiefs in Negros Occidental, barely a month before the election on May 13.
De la Paz said Supt. Jefferson Descallar will remain as Escalante police officer-in-charge, despite recommendation earlier made by his predecessor, Senior Supt. Celestino Guara, to replace him.
The recommendation to relieve Descallar from Escalante came after the assassination of a policeman and police asset in the place, being linked to politics.
Escalante has been included in the election watchlist areas of the PNP in Negros Occidental, because of intense political rivalry, history of election-related incidents and presence of armed insurgents.
Descallar said they have already witnesses and established identification of four suspects behind the assassination of PO1 Bejein Tanguan and police asset Joseph Lutrago, who was claimed to be a supporter of a mayoral candidate.
In due time, he said they will file double murder charges against the perpetrators.*GPB
Army reservist sued for
gun ban violation
An army reservist, who was caught with a .22 caliber revolver at the Panaad Park and Stadium in Brgy. Mansilingan on Sunday, was charged for violation of the Comelec gun ban before the Bacolod City Prosecutor's Office yesterday.
The charges were filed against Noel Lobaton, 43, of Brgy. Mandalagan, Bacolod City , Station 7 chief, Insp. Emmanuel Misajon, said.
Complainants Melvin Cuelo Jr., 25, and Aiko Amihan, 22, of Purok Cabugwason, Brgy. Mansilingan, told the police that Lobaton threatened them with a gun at the Panaad Park and Stadium.
Lobaton also tried to shoot Cuelo, they added.
Misajon said Lobaton told the police he and his companion only responded to a report that there was a commotion at the park and was just trying to pacify Cuelo and his companions.
Policemen seized a .22 caliber revolver with eight bullets in it from Lobaton, who is now detained at Police Station 7.
With the arrest of Lobaton, the BCPO topped the gun ban campaign in Western Visayas with 41 violators arrested and charged, Police Regional Office-6 records show.*APN
Bacolod City Police officer-in-charge, Senior Supt. Edgardo Ordaniel, said yesterday that contrary to what had been reported earlier, he did not reinstate Senior Insp. Robert Dejucos as Station 2 chief.
He said Dejucos will be transferred to the City Public Safety Management Office, and Senior Insp. Jovil Sedel will stay as Police Station 2 chief.
On Sunday, Ordaniel had said that, with the retention of Senior Insp. Richie Gohee as Station 5 chief, he will also reinstall Dejucos, who had been designated as temporary replacement for Gohee.
Gohee was ordered administratively relieved by the Philippine National Police in Camp Crame along with Chief Inspectors Adonis Rosales of the Bacolod Police Station 4 and Frankie Jingle Lugo of the Murcia town police, and Senior Insp. Romeo Vargas of the La Castellana PNP under the one-strike policy, after other PNP units allegedly conducted anti-illegal gambling operations in their areas without their participation.
However, Police Regional Office-6 Director, Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz, in his order dated April 12, ordered that the relief of the police chiefs be held in abeyance.
Meanwhile, Ordaniel advised Sedel to seek the assistance of officials of the barangays under his jurisdiction and to increase police mobility to minimize crimes.
He also ordered him to revive the Motorized Anti-Street Crime Operatives.*Shiela May Gelera