Two of the thirteen inmates who escaped from the Sagay City Bureau of Jail Management and Penology Wednesday were recaptured at the bus terminal in Cadiz City, Negros Occidental at about 5 p.m. yesterday.
Recaptured were Rolando Bajo, “alias Ron-Ron,” 22, of Brgy. Paraiso, and Jeck Española, “alias Jojo”, 24, of Brgy. Celestino Villacin, both in Sagay City, Chief Insp. Gilbert Peremne, BJMP Region-6 spokesperson, said.
Peremne said the two were arrested through a tip from an informant, who told Cadiz City jail officials that Española and Bajo were on board a Ceres bus going to Bacolod.
He said that investigation conducted by the BMJP Region 6 showed that the inmates escaped because they were protesting, what they alleged was the mismanagement of the jail by former warden Chief Insp. Benny Freddie Cobarde.
Senior Jail Officer 3 Leo Lacerna of the BJMP Region 6 Investigation and Prosecution Division said that, before the escape, the inmates had been complaining against Cobarde, who they said, was strict and refused to let them out of their cells.
Lacerna said Cobarde told them that he did not allow the inmates to roam around the BJMP compound because the number of jail officers on duty was inadequate.
Cobarde was relieved from his post by BJMP Region 6 Director Senior Supt. Ignacio Panti Thursday, following the escape of the inmates, while Jail Officers 1 Joever Valenzuela and Francis Ballador, who were the custodial officers on duty then, are now restricted at the Sagay City jail.
Additional jail personnel will be assigned to the Sagay City BJMP on Monday to augment its security.
The BJMP is offering P10,000 each for the rest of the escapees, identified as Rey Villanueva, “alias Nonoy”, 28; Marlon Bandala, “alias Toto”, 24, and Armando Dilao, “alias Kadjo”, 24, of Brgy. Rizal; Joemar Libester, “alias Toto”, 26, of Brgy. Taba-ao;
Jimmy Vistar “alias Toto”, 18, of Brgy. Old Sagay; Richard Dacaldacal, “alias Katumbal”, 28, of Brgy. Malubon l; Jolito Subtentiente Jr. “alias Banjol”, 26, of Brgy. Rafaela Barera; Jonard Quirante, “alias Pulis”, 22, of Brgy. Paraiso; Gilbert Manija, “alias Ipong”, 24, of Brgy. Makiling; Eric Cordero, “alias CJ”, 18, of Brgy. Poblacion; and Resty Dacaldacal, “alias Toto”, 22, of Brgy. Celestino Villacin, who are still at large, Lacerna said.
He said they are still trying to determine how, and who was responsible for bringing in the .38 caliber revolver used by Bajo to threaten Valenzuela and in shooting the padlock of the detention cell of his fellow inmates.
Lacerna said their logbook showed that Bajo’s mother, Shirley, was the last person who visited him before he bolted from jail. However, his mother, in an interview with ABS-CBN Bacolod, denied that she was the one who brought in the gun to the jail.
Investigation showed that other inmates used barbeque sticks to threaten Ballador before they disarmed him and Valenzuela, and escaped through the gate behind the jail facility.
The result of the investigation being undertaken by the BJMP Region 6 will be released in five days, and will be forwarded to their national office, Lacerna said.
The national BJMP will evaluate the result of the investigation and send it back to the BJMP Region 6 office for the implementation of the penalties, he said.
Lacerna added that Cobarde, Ballador and Valenzuela may also face administrative charges for serious negligence, which is punishable by dismissal from service, but if they can prove that their negligence is not grave, they may be suspended from one to six months.*APN