Daily star
Bacolod City, PhilippinesThursday, April 25, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
POLICE BEAT

1 of 2 remaining escapees
wants to surrender: BJMP

One of the two escapees from Sagay City Jail, who is still at large, has sent surrender feelers, Chief Insp. Gilbert Peremne, Bureau of Jail Management Region-6 spokesperson, said yesterday.

Peremne said they hope that theft suspect Eric Cordero, “alias C.J.”, 18, of Brgy. Poblacion, Sagay City will yield within the week.

Peremne added that Cordero’s companion, Marlon Bandala, “alias Toto”, 24, of Brgy. Rizal, Sagay City, has not sent any surrender feelers, but they believe he has not left the province yet.

Cousins Richard, 28, and Resty, 22, both surnamed Dacaldacal were re-arrested at about 12:10 p.m. Tuesday at Hacienda Maricor, Barangay Malubon in Sagay, while murder suspects Gilbert Manija and Armando Dilao, both 24, surrendered to Sagay Mayor Leo Rafael Cueva and Councilor Donato Marañon at about 5:30 p.m. Monday.

On Saturday, Joemar Libester, 26; Jimmy Vistar, 18; Jonard Quirante, 22; and Jolito Subteniente, 26, were arrested at Hacienda Albina, Barangay Rafaela Barrera, also in Sagay.

A day after their arrest, drug suspect Rey Villanueva, 28, also surrendered to the police.

Rolando Bajo, 22, the alleged mastermind of the escape, and Jeck Española, 24, were arrested Friday at the bus terminal in neighboring Cadiz City, two days after the jailbreak.

Peremne said 35 new BJMP personnel will be assigned to Negros Occidental and most of them will be deployed in Sagay City jail to prevent an escape from happening there again.*APN

back to top

Army denies escort
of bets, use of drugs

The Army’s 302nd Infantry Brigade yesterday dismissed as a “big lie” claims of the New People’s Army and its legal fronts, that it is allowing Army soldiers to escort campaigning politicians, peddling and using prohibited drugs.

Col. Francisco Patrimonio, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, challenged the NPA Army Leonardo Panaligan Command to bring the matter to the proper forum, if their allegations have an iota of truth, instead of engaging in “rumor-mongering”.

To show its commitment and staunch support against the use of prohibited drugs, Patrimonio said the 11th Infantry Battalion personnel, which he supervises, had been subjected to random drug testing on several occasions, and they yielded negative results.

Should anyone of them test positive for prohibited drugs, Patrimonio said he will not hesitate to impose proper punishment and stressed that he will never tolerate such wrongdoing.

Ka JB Regalado, spokesman of the Leonardo Panaligan Command, claimed in a statement, that some soldiers stationed in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental, are engaged in peddling and of using shabu.

He also claimed that 11IB soldiers serve as escorts of a politician in central Negros.

Contrary to military claims, Regalado said the NPA in central Negros is getting stronger, and they were able to expand their areas by about 25 percent and their strength by 40 percent.

Patrimonio, however, declared Brgys. Bayog and Lumapao in Canlaon City, Brgys. Mayabon and Calango in Zamboaguita and Brgy. Tayak in Santa Catalina, all in Negros Oriental, “insurgent-free and development-ready”.

This is in contrary to NPA claims that they are gaining influence in the hinterland barangays of Negros island, he added.*GPB

back to top

Police Beat
Army denies escort of bets, use of drugs
Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com