Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, April 25, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
Raps filed vs.
Ozamis gang members

BY ADRIAN NEMES III

Robbery charges were filed before the Bacolod City Prosecutor’s Office Tuesday by the police against two members of the Ozamis gang for the P1.2 heist of the Prenda Negrense Pawnshop and Jewelry Store at Luzuriaga Street two months ago.

Station 1 commander, Chief Insp. Levy Pangue, identified those charged as Wagner Mingol, “alias Oliver”, of Kilometer 3, La Trinidad, Benguet, Timoteo Batay-an, of Poblacion Patsakan, Ilocus Sur and an unidentified woman.

He said Mingol and Batay-an were positively identified by witnesses, who include the employees of a Pension house near the Pawnshop, where the suspect had rented two rooms from February 13 to 17, this year.

The robbery was discovered by the employees of the Golden Hope Trading Inc. that is located beside the pawnshop, at about 8 a.m. on February 18, when they saw that the wall dividing the two establishments had been destroyed, police record showed.

Former Bacolod City Police Special Operations Group head, Supt. Santiago Rapiz said the suspects destroyed the concrete wall of their rented room at the fourth floor of the pension house, and rappelled down to the Golden Hope Trading Inc. where they made a hole in its roof to gain entry.

When inside, the suspects destroyed the concrete wall between Golden Hope and Prenda Negrense to get to the vault of the pawnshop and steal the jewelry.

The suspects destroyed the alarm system of the pawnshop but did not touch the close circuit television camera, which the management of the pawnshop said had been non-functional for some time now.

It took some time before the police could file the charges as the management of Prenda Negrense and Jewelry had to conduct a re-audit of the items lost, Pangue said.

Initially the management declared to the police that the suspects took about P2.5 million in jewelry.

With the filing of the charges against the suspects, Pangue said they already consider the Prenda Negrense and Jewelry heist a closed case.

Aside from the robbery at Prenda Negrense, Mingol, Gaudencio Monopollo Jr., with unknown address; Horry Bangiwan of San Carlos Heights, Baguio City; and James Gonzales of Cubao, Quezon City and several others were also linked to the P1 million robbery at the F & C Pawnshop and Jewelry Store at Gonzaga Street last month.*APN

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
ButtonFire guts 234 houses
ButtonBlaze spares small chapel
ButtonHelp speed up justice for Arles
ButtonNo quorum at Neg. Occ. SP again
ButtonCity inaugurates Fortich Avenue
ButtonCeneco rates drop 77 cents
ButtonRaps filed vs. Ozamis gang members
ButtonVillar thanks Church for support
ButtonBayan Muna insists AL still disqualified