Three suspects in the murder of Kabankalan Regional Trial Court Judge Henry Arles are planning to surrender, a police informant said yesterday.
Their identities, are, however, being withheld, pending negotiations.
The Department of Justice had earlier dismissed the murder complaint against former Negros Occidental Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez Jr., his son, Ilog Vice Mayor John Paul Alvarez, and Cauayan Vice Mayor Jerry Tabujara, for the death of Arles.
A DAILY STAR source at the PNP, however, would not confirm if the three suspects who are planning to surrender are those recommended to be charged for murder by DOJ, if they are new suspects.
Although the murder complaint against Alvarez and his son, as well as Tabujara had been dismissed, the DOJ recommended the filing of similar charges against Marvin Salve, Gerald Tabujara, Rustom Puro, Alejandro Capunong, Jessie Daguia and Eddie Fortunado, all members of the defunct Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade, and Ilog government employee, Emmanuel Medes.
Supreme Court Administrator Midas Marquez said earlier that he finds it distressing that after a year of legal proceedings, the masterminds in the murder of Judge Arles have not been brought to justice and they remain scot-free.
Arles was shot dead in Barangay Manalad, Ilog, while on his way home on April 24 last year.
His daughter, Ma.Estelita Arles, and her brother, Philip, said they will not give up until the masterminds in the killing of their father are brought to justice. *GPB