Janet Lim Napoles, the businesswoman implicated in the P10 billion pork barrel scam, surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III last night.
Napoles, who is wanted on charges of serious illegal detention arising from the alleged kidnapping of Benhur Luy, surrendered at about 9:37 p.m., a statement issued by the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson said.
"The President turned her (Napoles) over to the custody of Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas and Philippine National Police (PNP) Director-General Alan Purisima for processing and booking," the statement added.
A separate report by radio dzBB's Benjie Liwanag Jr. said that the Palace welcomed Napoles' surrender, which came hours after Aquino announced a P10-million bounty for information leading to her capture, GMA news online said.
Napoles had been on the run since a Makati court issued an arrest warrant against her and her brother Reynald earlier this month.
The P10-billion scam Napoles was implicated in involved the questionable use of the Priority Development Assistance Fund, which fueled widespread outrage that prompted thousands of Filipinos to stage rallies in various part of the country Monday, calling for the PDAF abolition and the prosecution of the guilty.*