A decline in the number of international tourist arrivals this year is expected, but the Department of Tourism is sticking to its goal of 10 million arrivals by 2016.
Tourism Promotions Board Chief Operations Officer Domingo Ramon Energio III said Saturday that although there has been a slight slowdown in arrivals, the top 12 international markets, with Korea being on top, remain high.
Arrivals from Taiwan, meanwhile, dropped because of territorial issues, Enerio noted, without providing figures.
The DOT international tourist arrival target for this year is five million, which will decline but eventually bounce back in the coming years, he said.
“We will probably see a bit of a decline overall but we are still looking at achieving numbers that are comparable if not better than last year,” Enerio said.
He said there was a reported 30 to 90 percent cancellation in hotel bookings which will affect tourism growth.
He claimed, however, that countries still look forward to developing tour programs in the Philippines.
These include China, which recently sent in 100 tour operators to the country; Malaysia, which sent in 120, and India which sent in 280. Korean guests have also visited to play golf, he said.*PNA