Dengue cases in Negros Occidental rose by 355 percent from January 1 to February 2 compared to the same period last year, which is alarming, Dr. Ernell Tumimbang, Provincial Health Officer, said yesterday.
There were 287 dengue cases reported from January 1 to February 2 compared to 63 in the same period last year, he said.
The dengue cases were reported in Talisay City with 37, San Carlos City – 34, Bago City – 29, Victorias City – 25, Silay City – 20, La Carlota City – 17, Escalante City – 14, Manapla – 12, Binalbagan, Murcia and Sagay – 10 each, San Enrique and Isabela – 8 each, Cadiz, Calatrava and La Castellana – 6 cases each, Hinigaran and Kabankalan City – 5 each, Himamaylan City and Don Salvador Benedicto – 4 each, Toboso 3, Ilog, Moises Padilla, Pontevedra, Pulupandan, Sipalay City, and Valladolid – 2 cases each, and Cauayan and San Enrique – 1 case each, Tumimbang said.
But ranking based on the population of each area would place La Carlota City at number one, followed by Bago City, Murcia, Silay, San Carlos, Talisay, Victorias, Binalbagan, Manapla and Hinigaran, he said.
Tumimbang stressed the need to work at eliminating dengue through strict compliance with the 4s drive, or the Search and destroy mosquito breeding places, Self protection, Seeking early treatment, and Saying no to indiscriminate fogging, with emphasis on search and destroy.*CPG