Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesSaturday, February 23, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
P1.4B budget okayed as
SP fails to override veto

BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

The P1.4 billion budget of the Negros Oriental provincial government for 2013 was signed yesterday by Gov. Roel Degamo after members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan failed to override his veto.

SP Member Rodrigo Alanano said the veto was taken up at their regular session recently, but they lacked the numbers to override it. A vote of 10 is required to supersede it.

Degamo said he is duty-bound to enter his veto on Item 33 of the appropriations ordinance, on the intelligence fund, and Item B on Gender and Development, as the removal, transfer and reduction of funds allotted are highly prejudicial to the interest of the people.

“It is pointless to transfer the entire intelligence fund to the GAD allotment as the implementers themselves already have their hands full of things to do to advance the rights and welfare of men and women,” he added.

He said the intelligence fund is vital in ensuring peace and order in the province, and that the allotment will be P12 million.

Alanano said temporary presiding officer, BM Erwin Michael Macias, has commented there was nothing to override because Item 33 had been deleted.

But Alanano said that, legally-speaking, the SP has no power to remove or delete an item submitted by the executive department.*JG

back to top

Negros Oriental
ButtonNPA sending extortion letters to politicians
ButtonP1.4B budget okayed as SP fails to override veto
Button
Local NPC to support LP, UNA bets
Button
US, PHL to hold outreach
ButtonVFFI intensifies livelihood training