Around 18,000 households in Negros Oriental, affected by tropical storm “Pablo” in December last year, will receive assistance from the national government next month, a government press release said.
Thess Garcia, national deputy project manager, said the Department of Social Welfare and Development, through its National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction, will begin the special validation program of “Pablo” victims.
Garcia is in Dumaguete City as a resource person in the training for field staff for the special validation, that started yesterday. The training will be held in two batches, first on Monday to Wednesday for those from Cebu and Siquijor, and Wednesday to Friday for Negros Oriental and Bohol delegates.
The DSWD Region 7, headed by director Mercedita Jabagat, had initially hired 93 coordinators, 13 area supervisors and 78 enumerators for the program implementation, and to assess the identified families in the Central Visayas provinces of Cebu, Negros Oriental, Bohol and Siquijor.
NHTS-PR is an information management system that identifies who and where poor households are in the country.
The services and assistance to be dished out by the national government for “Pablo” victims have not yet been identified, although initially, Garcia said they will most likely come in the form of shelter and foodstuffs, among others, depending on the needs of the affected households.
Each enumerator will cover 16 households in their areas of assignment and will receive an honorarium from the government.
Final evaluation is required by March 29 before the election campaign period for local candidates starts. The enumerators are given 15 days to complete the special validation, starting on March 5.
The Philippine National Police and local officials have already been informed of the special validation and are asked to provide security and cooperation to the enumerators for the smooth conduct of the activity, Garcia said.*PNA
back to top