Brother of La Castellana
ambush victim hangs self
The brother of a La Castellana ambush victim allegedly hanged himself on a wooden truss in their house in Sitio Mambangon, Brgy. Cabacungan, La Castellana, because of depression, Senior Insp. Gary Alan Resuma, the town police chief, said yesterday.
Eddie Mateo, 39, brother of slain Jonathan Mateo, could not accept the loss of his brother, Resuma, said.
Mateo, who was reportedly suffering from a mental disorder, was very close to his slain brother, police investigation showed.
Jonathan was among the eight civilians killed in the ambush on Jan. 27 in Brgy. Puso, La Castellana, described by local government, military and police officials as a “massacre”.
The NPA claimed responsibility for the incident, but apologized only for the death of the two civilians.
Col. Oscar Lactao, 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, yesterday said peace advocate groups are now helping several minors to cope with their traumatic experiences, from the ambush.
The minors were among the survivors of the ambush.
In 2009, the NPA, through National Democratic Front-Negros spokesman priest-turned-rebel Frank Fernandez, also apologized for the deaths of three civilians, and the injuries of four others, in an ambush perpetrated by their fighters in Brgy. Salamanca, Toboso, Negros Occidental.
The families of the victims, however, described the statement of the NPA to the media, as a “lame excuse”.
Lactao said they have received reports that a ranking official of a human rights group resigned from his position two weeks after the La Castellana massacre, because of disillusionment.*GPB
Robbery charges to be filed
vs. 2 in pawnshop burglary
Robbery charges will be filed any time this week against the two “acetylene gang” members who took P20 million in jewelry, as claimed by the owners, from the Prenda Negrense and Jewelry Store at Luzuriaga Street, Bacolod City, last week, Bacolod City Police Special Operations Group head, Supt. Santiago Rapiz, said yesterday.
Rapiz also said that the four witnesses, all employees of the pension house where the suspects stayed, have already executed their affidavits.
The only things they lack for now are the affidavits of complaint of the Chua family, owners of the pawnshop, he said. The family has a private lawyer, who is in charge of the filing of the case, Rapiz said.
The two suspects were identified by witnesses from pictures of the six "acetylene gang" members arrested several years ago in Negros Occidental for a foiled robbery on another pawnshop, that were presented to them by the police recently.
One of the suspects is about 40 years old and a private miner from Kalinga Apayao province, while the other one is about 45 years old and a taxi driver from Baguio City.
Rapiz had said earlier that intelligence monitoring of Police Regional Office-6 showed that the group was supposed to rob an establishment in Iloilo in December last year but had shifted to Bacolod, because the police had uncovered their plan there.
He said, however, that the suspects, who belong to a 20-man group based in La Union province, may no longer be in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental.*APN
in rumble: police
Two men were injured in a rumble that broke out in Brgy. Felisa, Bacolod City, at about 10 p.m. Sunday, Station 10 chief, Senior Insp. Terence Paul Sta. Ana, said yesterday.
Elmer Garcia, 20, and Raul Capuyan, 58, both of Purok Kipot, Brgy. Felisa, are now confined at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital.
Investigation conducted by Police Officer 2 Jonathan Guillena showed that Garcia, armed with a bolo, came out from his house to scold Capuyan and his wife, whose name was not disclosed, who were having an argument.
Irked with the action of his neighbor, Capuyan hit Garcia on his head with a steel pipe while Capuyan’s son, Ronelo, 28, also came when he heard the commotion and stabbed Garcia on the chest, Sta. Ana said.
Garcia retaliated by hacking the elder Capuyan on the head, he added.
The younger Capuyan surrendered to the police and endorsed the bladed weapon he used in stabbing Garcia, while Garcia’s bolo was recovered at the crime scene, Sta. Ana also said.
Meanwhile, it is uncertain yet whether the family of a tricycle driver who was stabbed in Brgy. Sum-ag, Bacolod City Saturday will file charges against his assailant, Station 9 commander, Chief Insp. Placido Gentoleo said, yesterday.
Gentoleo said they are waiting for the decision of the family of Jolito Pritos, 52, of Purok Ramos in Brgy. Taloc, Bago City, Negros Occidental, against the suspect, Niño Cadigal, of Purok Candelaria, Brgy. Sum-ag, who is still at large.
Investigation showed that Cadigal flagged the victim down and when Pritos alighted from his tricycle, the suspect stabbed him in his left leg and fled. Pritos was brought to the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital but was later released as his injuries were minor.*APN