The petitioners for the creation of a barangay Paglaum in Bacolod City requested the Sangguniang Panlungsod Friday to set the date for the re-scheduling of its plebiscite.
Earlier, the petitioners requested the Commission on Elections en banc to fix the date for the plebiscite, or act on their motion for reconsideration, so they can act accordingly with the Bacolod SP for the re-scheduling of the plebiscite after the May elections.
A motion for reconsideration was filed by the petitioners on November 26, 2012, through their counsel, before the Commission en banc to reconsider its minute resolution, dated November 13, adopting the recommendation of deputy executive director for Operations, Bartolome Sinocruz Jr., re-scheduling the plebiscite supposed to be held last December 15 to another date after the May 13 elections.
Councilor Caesar Distrito said he received the letter of the petitioners Friday, a day after they also received a copy of their request to the COMELEC to fix the date of the plebiscite, in an interview over DYHB.
He said he cannot decide on the matter as it has to be acted upon by the SP as a collegial body. He will present to the SP the petitioners’ latest letter in their next session, he added.
Distrito said the petitioners should clarify whether they want the COMELEC, or the SP, to set the date of the plebiscite.
He said he believes that some of the residents of Paglaum are being influenced by some politicians so they have become confused. He pointed out that the SP is very supportive of their call for a plebiscite.
Distrito said Mayor Evelio Leonardia, together with their group, assured the residents of Paglaum that the city will again appropriate funds if a plebiscite will be scheduled since by law, the P3 million appropriated by the city last year automatically reverted back to the General Fund because it was not spent.
“I am supportive of the call for a plebiscite but we have to follow the process and the law,” he said.*CGS