The Provincial Joint Security Center headed by COMELEC Provincial head Jessie Suarez has deleted barangays Banago and Mansilingan in Bacolod City from the list of election hot spots, City Police Director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, said yesterday.
With the deletion of Banago and Mansilingan, there are no more areas in Bacolod in the list of election hot spots, De la Paz said. Banago and Mansilingan were among the 126 barangays earlier being closely monitored by the Police Regional Office 6 for possible presence of armed groups, strong political rivalries, and election-related violence.
Bacolod COMELEC Registrar Mavil Majarucon said they have noted no presence of armed groups, stiff political competition, or poll-related aggressions in the two baranagys that had qualified them as election hot spots during the Presidential election in 2010.
During his visit to Bacolod City last month PRO-6 Director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz stressed that they are still reviewing the list of areas concerned during the mid-term elections in May.
Cruz said some of the barngays included are no longer gripped by intense political strife, and some no longer have armed men being used by politicians as private armed groups.
Meanwhile, De la Paz said that on Sunday, not only firearms will be confiscated, but also gun replicas, airsoft guns, and bladed weapons
Those caught with these deadly weapons in their possession will be charged for violation of the COMELEC gun ban.*APN