Police: No foul play in deaths
of ‘Miss X,' sexagenarian man
Stations 3 and 4 policemen ruled out foul play in the deaths of an unidentified woman, whose body was found in Barangay Mandalagan Sunday, and a sexagenarian man, Saturday, in Montevista, Bacolod City.
Senior Insp. Conrado Rances, Station 3 chief, said that up to yesterday, no one has claimed the body of the woman, whom they have tagged as “Miss X” at the Alisbo Memorial Chapels.
Earlier reports indicated that the woman's skirt had been pulled down, exposing her sex organ, when she was found lifeless in her shanty at a vacant lot in front of the Bank of the Philippine Island-Mandalagan branch, at about 7 a.m. Sunday. That fueled speculations that she had been molested before she was killed.
However, Rances said there were no visible wounds on the woman's body to indicate that she had been killed, and also no sign that she had been molested.
He said that they have requested City Medico Legal Officer Ely Cong to conduct an autopsy on the woman's body to ascertain the cause of her death.
In Brgy. Montevista, the sexagenarian man who was found dead in the house of his nephew at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday, was not killed but succumbed to cardiac arrest, case investigator, Police Officer 2 Raymond Bandojo, said yesterday.
Emmanuel Sepe, 63, was found lying on his stomach on his bed by his nephew, Ariel Sepe, 45, when he arrived home from Hinigaran, Bandojo said.
He said their neighbors were trying to call the elder Sepe earlier Saturday but he was not replying, prompting them to inform his nephew.
Bandojo added that Emmanuel Sepe's family are no longer asking the City Medico Legal Officer to conduct an autopsy on his body.*APN
Ceasefire gaining ground
in Negros, military reports
The month-long ceasefire declared between government forces and local communist rebels appears to be holding in Negros Island, as indicated by the absence of insurgency-related violent incidents, the military said.
Colonels Francisco Patrimonio and Oscar Lactao, commanders of the 302 nd and 303 rd Infantry Brigades, respectively, yesterday said the countryside in both Negros Oriental and Occidental provinces, remain peaceful, until now.
Col. Ademar Tomaro, 602 nd Infantry Brigade commander, however, said they were able to prevent an attempt by communist rebels to harass a CAFGU detachment in Antipas town of North Cotabato on Jan. 10.
Tomaro said the encounter lasted for about 45 minutes, until the rebels fled, leaving behind two assault rifles, assorted ammunition and two improvised explosives that were ready for use.
The Communist Party of the Philippines, however, denounced the Armed Forces of the Philippines for allegedly violating the temporary synchronized ceasefire by carrying out a military offensive against the New People's Army.
The synchronized ceasefire, that started Dec. 20 last year and is scheduled to end today, was forged in a meeting with representatives of the Philippine government and the National Democratic Front Philippines in the Netherlands.
Lactao had earlier expressed his intention to recommend to Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. the holding of a local ceasefire in Negros Occidental, taking inspiration from the absence of NPA-related violent incidents during the ceasefire period.
He said the cessation of hostility with the NPA will lower the level of violence in Negros Occidental and development can seep in, especially in the countryside, where the delivery of basic social services is badly needed.
The proposed local ceasefire was supported by Major Jose Mabanta, 3 rd Infantry Division commander, who said, “We feel that (peace) talks on the national level are very slow, as a lot of issues need to be addressed”.
The military also reported that some rebels took advantage of the ceasefire, by giving themselves up to Army units.
Majority of the 74 rebels who surrendered to the government since last year, have already availed of financial and livelihood assistance from the provincial government of Negros Occidental and the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace Process.*GPB