Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
Traffic problem
likely to worsen

BY SHIELA GELERA

Several areas in Bacolod City have been experiencing traffic congestion that may increase because the 209 plantilla and job order traffic enforcers have resigned from their posts, Traffic Management Unit head, Chief Insp. Luisito Acebuche, said yesterday.

Acebuche, who also said he will soon be leaving his post, told the DAILY STAR that traffic congestion will be expected in major roads in the city, especially during rush hours and weekends, because of the lack of traffic enforcers.

As the new administration will come in on July 1, the 120 plantilla casuals submitted their resignation letters last week, to avail of their terminal leave pay, and the 89 job order casuals have been out of appointment since May 31, Acebuche said.

He said the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office is utilizing the 32 remaining regular traffic enforcers to address the problem of traffic congestion.

Out of the 32 personnel, 30 will be deployed in roads and two will act as supervisors. Fifteen enforcers will man the traffic in the morning, and the other 15 in the afternoon.

The areas at Libertad, downtown and the north terminal will have five traffic enforcers each, Acebuche said.

Aside from the remaining traffic enforcers, the volunteers from the Society Uniting People for Order and Good Governance, or SUPPOG, the City Police COPS, and the 10 motorized cops of the TMU, will also be utilized to augment them until July 1, he said.

Acebuche said the training of the new traffic enforcers who will replace those who had resigned, is ongoing and he has already submitted his recommendation to the incoming administration of Mayor-elect Monico Puentevella, who will have the last say in the selection of the new traffic enforcers.

The assets and liabilities of BTAO will be formally turned over to whoever will replace him, Acebuche said.

Governor Alfredo Marañon, in the meeting at the provincial Capitol on Monday to ensure progress for Bacolod and Negros Occidental, asked Puentevella, to act on the traffic, as he himself had experienced being struck in the congestion.

Puentevella said, he will work it out, and will hire traffic enforcers that have flat stomachs and “as fit as he is”.*SGG

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise