Seven fire incidents have occurred in Dumaguete City since January, and had damaged around P2.1 million in properties, Supt. Arnulfo Sayson, Bureau of Fire Protection marshal, said yesterday.
Sayson said these incidents are categorized as index, or those with more than P10,000 in damages, and non-index for less than P10,000.
He said last year’s fire losses amounted to only P943,000, with the 19 incidents that occurred. Usual causes of fire accidents are electrical, like negligence in unplugging electrical appliances, and power overloading.
The City Fire Department has six pieces of personal protective equipment, composed of protective clothing, helmets, goggles, and other equipment to protect a fireman from injury. Each set of PPE costs P80,000.
He said March, being the hottest month of the year, has been declared a Fire Safety and Prevention month because of the alarming incidents of fire nationwide.
Sayson said the public should take note of safety tips and information when buying fire extinguishers or installing smoke detectors; and should practice good housekeeping, like keeping matches out of a child’s reach, not keeping flammable materials like gasoline and paint inside the house; checking the electrical installations regularly, ensuring that electrical circuits are not overloaded; and putting out lighted candles or gas and oil lamps.*RG
back to top