Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesTuesday, March 19, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
PHL rejects pardon
bid for ‘rapist’

MANILA – The Philippines has rejected an appeal to pardon a Spanish-Filipino serving life in jail for murdering two women despite an award-winning documentary showing his innocence, the filmmaker said yesterday.

Francisco "Paco" Larrañaga filed an appeal to President Benigno Aquino after the 2011 release of "Give Up Tomorrow" highlighted major flaws in the case, and won a series of awards, including one from the Philippine government.

However, the Department of Justice that rejected the appeal on behalf of Aquino without giving an explanation, said film producer Marty Syjuco is related by marriage to Larrañaga.

“Everybody was hoping this film would make a difference," Syjuco told AFP, adding the recent award by the Philippines' arts and culture commission for "bringing honor to the country" had raised false hopes for Larrañaga.

“On the one hand, the Philippine government is saying we have brought honor to the country for highlighting this injustice, yet on the other, it is continuing to perpetuate the injustice."

Larrañaga, then 19, and six other young men were arrested in 1997 for the rape and murder of two sisters aged in their early 20s in Cebu. He has been in jail ever since.

The gripping documentary, which won the audience award at New York's Tribeca Film Festival, makes a compelling case that the seven men were framed as part of a conspiracy involving corrupt police and judicial figures.

Dozens of witnesses said Larrañaga was in Manila, the nation's capital, 550 kilometers (340 miles) away, at the time of the murders. But the judge ignored them, relying instead on one convicted criminal who turned state witness.

The UN Human Rights Commission ruled in 2006 that Larrañaga had been denied due process, and cited multiple major flaws in the case against him.

Larrañaga remains in jail in Spain, where he was transferred as part of a prisoner exchange treaty in 2009, while his six Filipino co-accused are behind bars in the Philippines.

The Spanish government has also lobbied the Philippines, on behalf of Larrañaga, but he cannot be released unless he wins a presidential pardon.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima did not respond to requests by AFP for comment on why Larrañaga's appeal had been denied.*AFP

back to top

Negros Oriental
ButtonPoll covenant signing in Neg. Or. March 25
ButtonBroadcaster filing grave coercion case against Dumaguete councilor
Button
PHL rejects pardon bid for ‘rapist’
Button
PAGASA declares summer season