The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Friday filled complaints for illegal possession of explosives and firearms, and obstruction of justice against 10 persons held during the Thursday raid on the ancestral house of Mayor Magdaleno Peña in Barangay Ubay, Pulupandan.
The charges were filed before the Negros Occidental Prosecutor’s Office, a source, who asked not to be identified, said.
The source said separate complaints against Peña will be filed in Manila.
Included in the charges for illegal possession of firearms were PO2 Pedrito Provido Lupo, 48, and SPO1 Vicente Maguad Castillo, 48, who were seen carrying firearms while in civilian clothes by the raiders.
But the two have presented proof that the firearms they were carrying were licensed, the source said.
The eight others charged were Rey Ganancial Asgar, 28; Manny Dublar Rio, 36; Joey Carpentero Yunque, 21; Nelvon Depra Gange, 33; Jay Gallego Gange, 28, security guard Deolito Suspeñe Morancil, 36; Jimmy Pasilan Castaños, 45; and security guard Armando Martinez Dela Paz, 44.
It was not however, stated, what specific complaints were filed against each of the eight.
Recovered during the raid were 90 firearms, that includedshotguns, AK-47 and M-16assault rifles, .40 and .45 caliber pistols, a 357 revolver, two sniper rifles, and two canisters of one-fourth pound of TNT high grade explosives, the police reported.
Peña last week maintained that none of the recovered firearms were registered in his name and that he no longer lived or owned the Ubay ancestral home where they were found.
He said the guns that belong to private individuals and four corporation are all licensed.
Peña also warned that he will file counter charges against the police if they charge him for illegal possession of explosives, claiming the two canisters of one-fourth pound of TNT high grade explosives were planted by the raiders.
Meanwhile, Amos Sierra of the Apolinario “Boy” Gatmaitan Command of the New People’s Army said in a press statement yesterday that the raid on the ancestral home of Peña is a tactical message that Negros Occidental is no longer under the hold of the “Cojuangco-Alvarez-Peña camp”.
He called the raid a brilliant move by the Marañon camp and part of the preparation by Local Governments Secretary Mar Roxas for his presidential bid in 2016.
But it is not the end to the “political clash of the titans” in Negros Occidental featuring the political “warlords” of the north and south, Sierra said.
It is not possible that the Alvarez-Peña camp will not wage a political-military counter-offensive, he said.
Peña could not be reached for comment yesterday but Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez Jr., who is running for governor, said he did not know why his name was being dragged into the issue of the raid.
Alvarez said he does not have guns, goons or gold to disrupt the May 13 polls.
Marañon, on the other hand, denied the claim that his camp was behind the raid.
The governor, reacting to the earlier statement of Peña on the matter, also said: “He cannot fool the people of Negros anymore. He must be man enough to face the consequences of his action. No one believes his tall tales and lies anymore.”*CPG