3 rebels yield firearms
Three more members of the Yunit Militia of the New People’s Army have availed of the military’s Guns for Peace Program, by surrendering four homemade firearms to the 11th Infantry Battalion in Brgy. San Agustin, Isabela, Negros Occidental.
Civil Military Operations officer, 1Lt. Von Ryan Gomez, said yesterday that the three former rebels, whose identities are being withheld, are members of the Bukidnon tribe.
He, however, said they were not among the Bukidnon tribe members arrested in December last year, after an encounter in Sitio Mahopaho, Brgy, San Agustin, Isabela.
The encounter led to the death of two soldiers and injuries to four others, military records showed.
Three of the 19 arrested suspects had tested positive for gunpowder nitrates.
Brig. Gen. Francisco Patrimonio, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander, accompanied by Gov. Alfredo Maranon Jr. and other representatives of various provincial governments, as well as Isabela Mayor Enrique Montilla III, revisited Brgy. San Agustin, Isabela on Oct. 31.
Nine YM members in Moises Padilla, Negros Occidental, and Guihulngan, Negros Oriental had earlier surrendered 19 firearms, including two anti-tank weapons, and explosives to the 11th IB, military records showed.
Gomez said Brig. Gen. Patrimonio presented cash assistance to three rebel YM members who surrendered four homemade shotguns, while 719 barangay residents, including 100 members of the Bukidnon tribe, availed of medical-related services of the Provincial Health Office.
During the celebration of National Indigenous People’s Month celebration, that is marked every October, the Bukidnon tribe members also received 1,000 family food packs from the Provincial Social Welfare Development Office, 200 pairs of slippers from the Philippine Army, while the Provincial Veterinarian Office gave them 250 heads of Caber chicks, 20 grower chickens and seven Peking ducks.
Gomez said the activity was highlighted with the ceremonial oath of conduct of non-violence, declaration of peace community and the holding of the Philippine flag, which marked the IPs ( Indigenous People) love of country and campaign of internal peace in the community through the spirit of “Bayanihan”.
In his speech, Patrimonio, said the Armed Forces of the Philippines will continue to support and facilitate initiatives of the provincial government in attaining peace, security and development in the community.
Marañon pledged to support the IP community in Isabela, by constructing two school buildings in Sitio Mahopaho and including the Bukidnon tribes in the Negros Occidental Comprehensive Health Program package.
Montilla encouraged the IP community to continue to be united and maintain harmonious relationship with one another, and thanked the Philippine Army for facilitating the IP program. *GPB
for gun ban breach
A gun ban violator was arrested Friday and another yesterday in Bacolod City.
Station 1 chief, Senior Insp. Lester Leada, yesterday said that a peanut vendor, Christopher Villarosa, 28, of Cauayan town in Negros Occidental, was arrested Friday on complaints of Jeremy Gaudan, who said he threatened him with a gun at the north driveway of SM City-Bacolod.
Policemen and mall security officer Ramilo Osorio, confiscated from Villarosa an improvised homemade pistol, loaded with a bullet of 5.56 mm caliber rifle, and turned these over to the Provincial Crime Laboratory for ballistics examination.
Chief Insp. Adonis Rosales, Station 4 commander, said they nabbed Victor Begaso, 55, at the Villa Ramos Subdivision in Brgy. Villamonte, Bacolod, at about 5:35 a.m. yesterday, who was seen carrying a .9 mm pistol.
The pistol, with serial number T908100473 and loaded with three live ammunition, is licensed but Begaso failed to present a permit carrying it outside his residence, he said.
Rosales said they had received complaints against Begaso, who allegedly threatened his neighbors with the gun, and some residents said he had been firing it. Recently, Begaso had pointed the gun at a pedicab driver, whose name was not disclosed, he added.
Charges for violation of the Commission on Elections gun ban are being readied for filing today before the Bacolod City Prosecutor’s Office against Begaso.
Insp. Jovy Cabcaban, Women and Children's Complaints Desk chief, said yesterday that a 17-year-old minor was stabbed in the back over an old grudge at the Handumanan cemetery in Brgy. Handumanan, Bacolod City, at about 12:30 p.m. Friday.
He was brought to the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital.
Police investigations showed that Alvin Niemes, alias “Boyboy”, 18, of Purok Kawayanan, Phase 6B in Brgy. Handumanan, attacked the minor with a knife, and fled, Cabcaban said.*SGG