The chairman of the Bids and Awards Committee said there is a need for the city to conduct a re-bidding for the garbage collection once the contract of Metrowaste Solidwaste Management Corporation with the city government ends.
Gerome Solinap, BAC chairman and General Services Office head, however, said the city government could still extend the contract of Metrowaste but on a short term basis only.
But to avoid controversy, he would prefer to have another bidding.
The contract of Metrowaste will end on October 31, he added.
Solinap said a re-bidding is necessary because they cannot conduct a “repeat order” after the six-month period had already lapsed.
He said they can only adopt a repeat order if the order is within six months upon issuance of a notice to proceed or award and the amount does not exceed 25 percent of the total Approved Budget of the Contract of the former contract.
Solinap said they are preparing for a possible rebidding if there is an available budget.
When the necessary documents are submitted to their office, a bidding will be conducted, he said.
Since there are only two months left before the end of the year, it would be better to extend the remaining months to the current contractor and start a new bidding in January, Solinap said.
There is a provision in the contract that they can extend the services of the contractor due to time constraints, as far as the same supplier is concerned, he said.
Solinap said an extension is always allowed but there are certain limitations and most likely, Metrowaste will be given until the end of this year.
The budget is until December only because 2014 is another budget year so they will conduct another bidding, Solinap said.
This will depend if the budget will be approved earlier.
If there is available budget, we can conduct another bidding for the privatization of garbage collection, he said.*CGS