Daily Star logoStar Business
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
 
Bacolod City, PhilippinesTuesday, October 22, 2013
2GO not hiking fare rates

Shipping company 2Go travel is not joining the planned fare increase of fast craft companies plying Negros Occidental and Panay Island in November, its president for Passenger Retail Sale, Grace Golez said.

Fastcraft operators in Western Visayas have decided to postpone the planned P10 to P20 increase in fare until the first week of November and have already been given a “green light” by the Maritime Industry Authority.

Golez said they are not bent on increasing their fare rates and, in fact, are planning to introduce more fare rate promos for their fastcrafts and other sea vessels so they could compete with other shipping firms.

Religious group ‘fact checking’
in former Neg. Occ. mine sites

The Defend Patrimony, an ecumenical group in Negros, is conducting a series of fact finding missions in Negros Occidental to check on residents in areas where there had been mining operations, its chairman, RC Gumban, said yesterday.

Gumban said their group visited the boundary of Brgy. Baclao in Cuauyan and Brgy. San Jose in Sipalay City where the Maricalum Mining Corp. is located and they saw the devastating effect of mining on the nearby communities although it had ceased operation in 1997 yet.

He said the place where the Maricalum mines are located used to be a forested and farm area but it has turned into a “wasteland” because of the residue from the firm when it was still operational.

Former TESDA chief
asks SC to stop DAP

Former Technical Education and Skills Development Authority Director General Augusto Syjuco Jr. yesterday asked the Supreme Court to stop the government from disbursing public funds to assist earthquake-hit areas through the Disbursement Acceleration Program, a government press release said.

In an urgent motion for the issuance of a temporary restraining order, Syjuco, one of the petitioners who have assailed the constitutionality of the DAP, said the Aquino government should not be allowed to use the DAP to augment relief and rehabilitation operations in Bohol and Cebu provinces.

The 7.2 magnitude earthquake left 185 people dead and nine missing, and damaged some 35,000 structures.

Business
Button2GO not hiking fare rates
ButtonReligious group ‘fact checking’ in former Neg. Occ. mine sites
ButtonFormer TESDA chief asks SC to stop DAP

ButtonSEnA team wins Lingkod Bayan Award
Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
 Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com