Teener admits rape of 8-yr-old
Charges against a teenager, who allegedly raped an 8-year-old girl in a barangay in Bacolod City, Tuesday night, are being readied by the City Women and Children's Complaints Desk, its chief, Insp. Jovy Cabcaban said yesterday.
The 18-year-old suspect, whose name was not disclosed, is now detained at a police station in the city, and charges for rape in relation to Republic Act 7610, or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act, will be filed against him before the Bacolod City Prosecutors Office, Cabcaban said.
Investigation showed that the suspect, a godchild of the victim’s mother, enticed the child to go to a grassy vacant lot where he molested her.
Cabcaban said, the mother of the victim said her daughter complained that she had been molested by the suspect whom she positively identified.
Cabcaban said the suspect, who admitted the crime, was endorsed to the police station and a medical examination was conducted on the victim. “We are waiting for the result before charges will be filed against him,” she said.
In a television interview, the suspect, who works as a porter, admitted that he brought the minor to a certain place, where he undressed and touched her private parts.
He said he saw the victim on the road and gave her a P10 coin, and when he asked her to accompany him, she followed.
The suspect said he would like to say “sorry” to the minor and her parents for what he did.*SGG
Waiter shot dead
in Bacolod: police
An old grudge over spider-fighting is being eyed by the police as the motive for the killing of a waiter in Purok Kapisan, Brgy. Vista Alegre in Bacolod City, at about 8 p.m. Tuesday.
Station 7 chief, Senior Insp. Jose Mulleta, identified the fatality as Jacob Alquiza, 19, of Purok Kapisan, who succumbed to two gunshot wounds on his forehead and chest.
Investigation showed that Alquiza was walking in the purok when Antonio Raul Manojo, alias "Beboy", 24, also of the barangay, approached and shot him without provocation, with what the police believe to be a .38 caliber revolver.
Supt. Jefferson Descallar, deputy chief of the Bacolod City Police Office Operations Branch, said Manojo evaded arrest but his family assured them that they will try to encourage him to surrender.
Charges for murder are being readied by the Station 7 policemen against Manojo, Descallar added.*SGG
Fire hits 4 houses
A fire hit four houses in Purok Paghidaet, Brgy. Tangub in Bacolod City yesterday afternoon, and left about P50,000 worth of damage.
Fire Officer 1 Anthony Banay of the City Bureau of Fire Protection said two houses owned by Telesporo de la Peña and Joefrey Leitigeo were destroyed, and two others, owned by Editha Omac and Ferdinand Aballe, were damaged.
Banay also said Jonalyn Aballe suffered from high blood pressure when she saw their house being razed by fire but she is in stable condition now.
The BFP received the fire call at about 3:45 p.m. and was able to put out the fire at about 4:05 p.m. The firefighters said they had difficulty penetrating the area because the pathways were narrow. The houses were also made of light materials, they said.
Initial investigation showed that the fire, believed to be electrical in nature, started at the ceiling of the house owned by Telesporo and spread to the nearby houses.
Three fire trucks from the BFP dispatched to the area were assisted by those of the Amity and Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce fire volunteer brigades, Banay added.*SGG