Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Thursday, September 5, 2013
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
‘No overprice mentioned
in furniture purchase raps’

BY CHRYSEE SAMILLANO

Former Bacolod City Bids and Awards Committee chairman Goldwyn Nifras yesterday said there is no mention of “overprice raps” in the notarized complaint-affidavit of the Ombudsman regarding the procurement of furniture for the Bacolod City Government Center.

The clarification was made by Nifras in reaction to a news story entitled “Solon ordered to answer furniture overprice raps” carried in the September 4 issue of the DAILY STAR.

Nifras said the charges in the Ombudsman’s order essentially only covered three main issues: first, that the contract was awarded to a bidder, that alleged to be an IT supplier and not a furniture manufacturer.

The second issue is that the city accepted late deliveries without imposing the required liquidated damages allegedly worth P14 million; and third, that, because of the two aforementioned issues, it was concluded that the concerned city officials conspired with the winning bidder to favor it over two other bidders that were disqualified, he said.

INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS

Nifras said the charges and conclusions of the Ombudsman were based on incomplete documents, and all these charges will be completely refuted in their counter-affidavits which are now being prepared, he said.

In addition to former City Mayor and now Bacolod Rep. Evelio Leonardia, eleven other city officials were ordered by the Ombudsman to file their counter-affidavits.

These officials include Nifras, former BAC chairman; Luz Treyes, former vice chairman; former BAC members Allan Zamora and Nelson Sedillo and Technical Working Group members Belly Aguillon, Ma. Gliceria Caduhada, Eduardo Ravena, Aladino Agbones, Jaries Encabo, BAC Secretariat head Melvin Recabar and City Treasurer Annabelle Badajos.

CLOSED AND TERMINATED

The case was filed by one of the bidders, Francisco Puey, et al, who alleged irregularity in the award of the contract of furniture and fixtures worth P50 million. The case had been recommended by Graft Investigation and Prosecution Officer Ma. Sonnette Daquita, as “closed and terminated” in her final evaluation report dated May 9, 2011.*CGS

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button3 nabbed at gov’t center for ‘taking grease money’
ButtonCOA checks on PDAF for Negros LGUs
ButtonMotorcycle accidents in city up 26%
Button‘No overprice mentioned in furniture purchase raps’
ButtonSon-in-law of governor’s aide linked by BM to illegal logging
ButtonVG echoes call for RPA talks closure
ButtonNo Tipon Sept. 11 rally
ButtonMarañon commends La Castellana execs
ButtonCA confirms Baladad promotion
ButtonFormer kagawad dies in mishap
ButtonComelec accepting applications for election gun ban exemptions
ButtonJewel files annulment case versus senator