Daily starNegros Oriental
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Eguide
Events
Schedules
Obituaries
Congratulations
Classified Ads
 
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesFriday, September 6, 2013
Negros Oriental
ButtonHotels cautioned against scammer
ButtonPamplona brgy ‘NPA-free’
Button
Squatters demolish houses in Tanjay
Button
2 arrested for illegal gun, drugs
ButtonWhale shark found dead

Hotels cautioned
against scammer

BY JUDY F. PARTLOW & JUANCHO GALLARDE

The proprietor of a hotel in Dumaguete City yesterday filed an estafa complaint against a foreign national claiming to be from Singapore for leaving the hotel without paying his bills.

Roy Cang, owner of the Bethel Guest House at Rizal Boulevard in Dumaguete, said the “Singaporean”, who went by the name of Jonathan Lee Seng Tan, had been staying at the hotel middle of August and has gone missing since Sunday.

He added that he already contacted the Republic of Singapore Embassy in Manila for verification of the man’s identify, and hoped that the embassy and the Bureau of Immigration can track down the man believed to be a scammer.

Pamplona brgy ‘NPA-free’
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

Barangay Banawe in Pamplona, Negros Oriental, that used to be a haven of communist New People’s Army rebels, has been declared “insurgency-free and development ready” by the Army’s 302nd Infantry Brigade.

This brought to six the number of former rebel-controlled areas declared as insurgency-free by the Area Clearing Evaluation Board, chaired by Col. Christopher Estella, deputy 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, since last month.

Other hinterland barangays declared insurgence-free are Siapo and Basak in San Jose, Silab in Amlan, Enrique Villanueva in Sibulan, and Dobdob in Valencia, all in Negros Oriental, military records show.

Squatters demolish
houses in Tanjay

BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

After two days of tension-filled confrontations and the filing of charges in court, Tanjay City, Negros Oriental residents, who initially resisted an eviction order, finally volunteered to take down their illegal structures Wednesday, Chief Insp. Teodorico Picardal, Tanjay police chief, said yesterday.

He added that a peaceful closure was reached with the opposing illegal settlers, after Porferio Sambilad and Perpito Zerna, who had refused to heed the court ejectment order Tuesday, voluntarily demolished their homes with the help of hired workers.

The police also provided assistance to Sambilad and Zerna, Picardal added.

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
 Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com