Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
Follow us on:
Classified Ads


Web www.visayandailystar.com
Suicide Attempt
Andy Alvarez photo
Precariously   perched  on the ledge of a building, Justin Occello  drew a huge crowd as  the policemen  and fire fighters try to  stop him from jumping*
Top Stories
buttonSoldiers recover more high-powered firearms
button‘Freed NPA commander led battle’
buttonRaps, repeal of law pushed despite rollback in oil prices
buttonMan on ledge draws crowd
buttonDistrito questions status of Kasadya
buttonSMPHI rests case vs. provincial gov’t
buttonIlog bridge to be closed Sept.18-22
buttonGovernor turns over ambulances
buttonValencia: TFI to deprive illegal loggers of income
buttonTwo Bacolod cops get awards
buttonVictorias brgy heads win Sandugo awards
buttonAlisbo city consultant on senior citizens affairs
Negros Oriental
buttonOfficials, residents at odds over river dredging project
buttonFamily Week slated
buttonPope Francis may visit Cebu: prelate
buttonPlunder raps filed vs. Napoles, 3 senators
Star Business

buttonSRA sees over 138K MT for PHL’s 2014 US quota
buttonPersonal remittances continue to rise
buttonNFSW seeking DAR dialog over contested land areas
button‘Review sea safety plans’
buttonLivelihood trainings launched


buttonSummit stays unbeaten in Fil-Sino AB cagefest
buttonNOHS teams rule bowlfest
buttonProvince, Teletech post win in 35-Up BCAN basketball

Soldiers recover more
high-powered firearms


Soldiers of the 62nd Infantry Battalion pursuing the fleeing New People’s Army rebels recovered four more high-powered firearms in another encounter Sunday at Sitio Dhalia, Brgy. Puey in Sagay City, Negros Occidental.

The recovery of three M-14 assault rifles and an AK-47 Kalashnikov rifle brought to nine the number of high-powered guns, including the three M-16 armalite rifles and two .45 caliber pistols, seized by government troopers in two days of sporadic armed clashes at the boundary of Brgy. Puey, Sagay City, and Brgy. Bug-ang, Toboso, military records show.

Lt. Col. Efren Morados, 62IB commander, said yesterday that a group of NPA rebels returned to the encounter site, to retrieve their hidden firearms not knowing that some of his soldiers were still in the area, moremoremore

‘Freed NPA
commander led battle’

An arrested New People’s Army commander, who had been released from jail in July last year, after posting a P40,000 bail for robbery-in-band charges, was the leader of the group of rebels who figured in a recent encounter with Army soldiers at the boundary of Toboso and Sagay City, Negros Occidental, Lt. Col. Efren Morados, 62nd Infantry Battalion commander, said yesterday.

Hernando Llorente, alias Ka Ador, who was arrested in San Carlos City April last year, led about 17 armed rebels who encountered the 62nd IB troopers on Saturday, Morados said.

While Llorente was unhurt during the encounter, Morados said Joey, alias Boboy, and a brother of Llorente, was reported among the three rebels injured in the brief gunbattle.moremoremore

Raps, repeal of law pushed
despite rollback in oil prices

The nationwide rollback in fuel prices yesterday failed to appease Negrenses demanding government action on a gap between prices in Negros Occidental and Metro Manila that they say is still too wide.

The rollback in prices showed Caltex, Petron and Shell with near uniform prices yesterday.

The three firms were all selling diesel at P48.50 per liter, while Silver at Caltex was at P56.49, and Extra Unleaded at Petron and Fuel Save at Shell were at P56.59 a liter. moremoremore

Man on ledge draws crowd

A 24-year-old man, who climbed the building at corner Araneta-Ballesteros streets in Bacolod City, drawing huge crowd below, reportedly attempted to commit suicide yesterday afternoon but members of the police rescue team managed to stop him.

Justin Occello of Purok Isla, Barangay Villamonte in Bacolod, a jeepney driver, climbed to the third floor of the building and stayed there for several minutes, Fire Officer 2 Marc Stephen Trajeras, of the City Bureau of Fire and Protection said.

Trajeras, a member of the rescue team, told the DAILY STAR that it took them about 10-15 minutes of negotiation before the victim was rescued.moremoremore

Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise!

Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com

WebMaster: Mr. Cedric B. Florentino