Take preemptive steps
to save lives, guv says
SOME SCHOOLS SUSPEND CLASSES
BY CARLA GOMEZ
Negros Occidental officials closely tracking the path of Super Typhoon Ruby may order forced evacuations today if it heads towards the province.
But some residents of islands in Cadiz and Sagay cities, most of whom were women and children, continued to evacuate yesterday ahead of official notification to do so out of fear.
Negros cops on
full alert for typhoon
BY SHIELA GELERA
Policemen in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental have been placed on full alert status in anticipation of super typhoon Ruby (Hagupit), that is expected to hit the province Saturday, Senior Supt. Milko Lirazan, Negros Occidental provincial police director, said yesterday.
Policemen, who are trained to be emergency responders, are on standby for possible rescue operations, Lirazan said.
|Even the Mona Lisa|
|Of death and taxes|
|On their own|
|A new story from Felisa|
Classes suspended in NegOr,
Dumaguete as ‘Ruby’ looms
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW
Governor Roel Degamo yesterday declared a suspension of classes in the whole of Negros Oriental today, with the looming super-typhoon Ruby that had already entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility.
The governor issued Executive Order No. 14-22 declaring the suspension of classes in levels in government and private schools, colleges and universities, to allow students and teachers to return to their homes and be safe from the storm.
With “Ruby” already having entered the country’s area of responsibility and posing imminent danger to lives and property, it is necessary to give people ample time to prepare for its possible onslaught, Degamo said in his EO.