‘2014 exciting for Negros'
BY CARLA GOMEZ
Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. yesterday said he sees 2014 as an exciting and hopeful year for Negros Occidental with bright job prospects in the information technology sector, and the start of World Bank funded projects in the province.
“I think it's a very exciting year and there are many prospects coming to Negros, especially in the BPO-IT industry, with the opening of the Negros First CyberCentre in Bacolod City,” he said.
He said they are rushing the completion of the CyberCentre because there are many locators who would like to occupy the building by March 31.
Two killed, 8 injured
BY GILBERT BAYORAN
Although the campaign against indiscriminate firing during New Year's eve revelries in Negros Occidental seems to have succeeded, shooting and stabbing incidents, that claimed the lives of two civilians and caused injuries to eight, marred the celebrations.
Senior Supt. Milko Lirazan, provincial police director, said yesterday that they have not received any reports of indiscriminate firing, either by lawmen or civilians, and of stray bullet incidents, as of the time of this report.
Col. Jon Aying, 303 rd Infantry Brigade commander, also reported no indiscriminate firing in areas where various Philippine Army units are operating.
Less firecracker victims now
BY GILBERT BAYORAN & SHIELA GELERA
Blast victims of firecrackers in Negros Occidental and Bacolod City, were down by 48.7 percent compared to the previous year, as Negrenses ushered in the New Year, police records show.
Only 20 were recorded injured from December 31 last year up to yesterday, compared to 39 in 2012, Senior Supt. Milko Lirazan, provincial police director, reported yesterday.
In Bacolod, nine persons, four of them minors, were injured by firecracker blasts and brought to the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital, and one each to the Bacolod Adventist Medical Center, Our Lady of Mercy Specialty Hospital and the Pablo O. Torre Medical Center.