Dengue cases in Negros Oriental increased by 6.6 percent in 2013 compared to 2012, but with less deaths, records of the Integrated Provincial Health Office show.
IPHO chief, Dr. Edgar Barredo, yesterday said that, from January 1 to December 21, 2013, the province recorded 3,418 cases of dengue with seven deaths, compared to 3,208 with 10 fatalities in the same period in 2012.
Dumaguete topped the list of the cities and towns with high number of dengue cases last year, with 1,041, followed by Sibulan, 350; Tanjay City, 309; Bais City, 147; Siaton, 115; Mabinay, 114; Bacong and Zamboanguita, 101 cases each; and Manjuyod and Sta. Catalina, 96 cases each, the IPHO records show.
Two deaths from dengue were recorded in Dumaguete, and one each in Tanjay, Bacong, Guihulngan, Pamplona, and Canlaon.
Barredo said he believes the rise in dengue cases could be attributed, in part, to climate change, and called on the public to be vigilant all year round, considering that what used to be the wet and dry seasons in the country are no longer definite.
Community involvement is needed, and the public should always observe the 4S campaign against the mosquito-borne viral disease, he added.
The 4S strategy includes searching and destroying breeding grounds of vector mosquitoes; Self-protection through the use of mosquito nets, preventive clothing and insect repellants; Seeking early medical consultation once symptoms of suspected dengue case appear, and saying no to indiscriminate fogging since it is not a guaranteed approach to combat dengue.
So far, not a single dengue case has been reported in Negros Oriental this year.*JFP
back to top