Daily Star logoNegros Oriental
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesSaturday, January 11, 2014
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
 
5 suspected
measles reported
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

The number of suspected measles cases in Negros Oriental has risen to five this year, and the Integrated Provincial Health Office is calling on mothers and the public to help prevent the spread of the disease.

IPHO chief, Dr. Edgar Barredo, yesterday said two suspected cases were reported in Lipayo, Dauin town, and one each in Dumaguete, Tanjay and Sibulan.

Last year, the IPHO recorded seven suspected cases, with four in Dumaguete, two in Amlan and one in Basay, he added.

Barredo said he is hopeful that there will be no outbreak of measles in the province, despite the epidemic declared in other parts of the country, particularly in Metro Manila. He said the IPHO has achieved a high percentage of coverage in its anti-measles campaign in 2012 and 2013.

Last year, the IPHO said about 80 percent, or 29,426 children aged nine months and less than two years, were immunized against measles. In 2012, it posted a higher coverage at 83 percent, or 29,683 kids.

Barredo said the best prevention to an outbreak, or a rise in measles cases, is vaccination, and the provincial government is providing immunization shots for free.

He called on parents to take the initiative, and bring their children aged nine months to less than two years old, to any public health station, such as the rural health center or barangay health unit, for vaccination.

There is enough measles vaccine in Negros Oriental, Barredo assured.*JFP

 

back to top

Negros Oriental
Button 3,418 dengue cases noted with 7 deaths in Oriental
Button ‘NegOr will no longer rely on nat'l gov't for funding'
Button
5 suspected measles reported
Button
Degamo urges Negrenses to be weather-conscious