Daily starNegros Oriental
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
 
Dumaguete City, PhilippinesSaturday, January 11, 2014
Negros Oriental
Button 3,418 dengue cases noted with 7 deaths in Oriental
Button ‘NegOr will no longer rely on nat'l gov't for funding'
Button
5 suspected measles reported
Button
Degamo urges Negrenses to be weather-conscious  

3,418 dengue cases noted
with 7 deaths in Oriental
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

Dengue cases in Negros Oriental increased by 6.6 percent in 2013 compared to 2012, but with less deaths, records of the Integrated Provincial Health Office show.

IPHO chief, Dr. Edgar Barredo, yesterday said that, from January 1 to December 21, 2013, the province recorded 3,418 cases of dengue with seven deaths, compared to 3,208 with 10 fatalities in the same period in 2012.

Dumaguete topped the list of the cities and towns with high number of dengue cases last year, with 1,041, followed by Sibulan, 350; Tanjay City, 309; Bais City, 147; Siaton, 115; Mabinay, 114; Bacong and Zamboanguita, 101 cases each; and Manjuyod and Sta. Catalina, 96 cases each, the IPHO records show.

‘NegOr will no longer rely
on nat'l gov't for funding'
BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo said the provincial government will no longer rely on national government funding for the implementation of programs and projects in the province.

This is because his administration suffered severely from the four withdrawals of national funding in the past months for still unknown reasons.

These were the P481 million calamity fund, that is half of the amount promised by President Benigno Aquino III after the 6.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked the province on February 6, 2012; the P100 million allocation from the Department of Health for the Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital; the P16 million assistance for the Guihulngan District Hospital; and a multi-million agriculture project, Degamo said..

5 suspected
measles reported

The number of suspected measles cases in Negros Oriental has risen to five this year, and the Integrated Provincial Health Office is calling on mothers and the public to help prevent the spread of the disease.

IPHO chief, Dr. Edgar Barredo, yesterday said two suspected cases were reported in Lipayo, Dauin town, and one each in Dumaguete, Tanjay and Sibulan.

Last year, the IPHO recorded seven suspected cases, with four in Dumaguete, two in Amlan and one in Basay, he added.

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
 Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com