Daily Star logoTop Stories
Bacolod City, Philippines Saturday, January 11, 2014
Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Police Beat
Star Life
People & Events
 
Official's son
being probed?
BY CARLA GOMEZ

Two police officials yesterday issued conflicting statements on allegations linking the son of a mayor to five suspects in the recent murder of a former policeman in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental.

Senior Supt. Milko Lirazan, Negros Occidental police director, said the police are investigating reports that a son of La Castellana Mayor Alberto Nicor was seen earlier in the company of the five suspects in the killing of former policeman Rex de los Reyes at a beach resort in Hinigaran town on January 5.

The five suspects, Michael Jancilan, Roger Someros, Vicente Paceros, Eduardo Montaño and Openiano Dolar are facing murder charges, and are detained at the Binalbagan jail.

Lirazan said they received reports that the son of the mayor was seen with the suspects at a cockpit in La Castellana the night before the crime .

However, Chief Inspector Lino Dalisay, Hinigaran police chief, said the killing of de los Reyes has been solved, and only the five arrested have been tagged as the suspects who are now facing murder charges before the court.

They have not established the motive for the killing, but they are looking at four leads that could include gambling and drugs, he said.

Dalisay said he has no idea about the insinuations that the son of Nicor is linked to the suspects, or had any part in the crime.

As far as they are concerned, there are only five suspects, there is no sixth suspect who escaped, he said.

That is all unfounded speculation, he added.

Nicor had earlier also denied that his family knows any of the suspects in the killing.

Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon also said he does not know about Nicor's being linked to the de los Reyes case.

“We must assume a person is innocent unless proven guilty, it is hard to accuse a person without evidence, we must dig deeper,” the governor said.

“It's very easy to destroy a person …if not guilty what happens, we just say i'm sorry?” the governor added.

The Western Visayas Philippine National Police, said in a press statement yesterday, that the killing of de los Reyes has been declared solved with the arrest of the five suspects.

De los Reyes, a resident of West Avenue, Timawa Molo, Iloilo had been dropped from the police roll before his murder, it also said.*CPG

 

 

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
Top Stories
Button Negros getting P1.1B in PhilHealth coverage
Button Security up for plebiscite today
Button P10 pay hike still in effect
Button Official's son being probed?
Button Official's son being probed?
Button Stop gambling, drugs, cops told
Button Mayor: Safari resort stopped construction
Button Escapee recaptured with guns
Button Brgy head could face raps for firing gun on Dec. 31
Button Portrait artist dies
Button Yolanda death toll rises
Button Ordaniel status not taken up

Button Neg. Occ. needs more prosecutors