‘It’s a bad idea’
Sugarmen on bill to extend
notices of land coverage
BY CARLA P. GOMEZ
Sugar industry leaders yesterday called the move of President Benigno Aquino III to seek the passage of a bill that will extend the filing of agrarian reform Notices of Coverage a “bad idea.”
“We are hopeful that, the moment we file that bill, Congress will pass it the soonest possible time,” the President said in his State of the Nation Address Monday.
He said, “If we are talking about reforms that have already begun to give rise to sweeping progress, we have to touch on recent developments in agrarian reform.”.
Neg. Occ. getting P648M for
poverty reduction drive
BY ADRIAN NEMES III
The national government has allotted P648 million for the Grassroots Participatory Budgeting Program for poverty reduction in the towns and cities of Negros Occidental for 2014, a Department of Interior and Local Government official said yesterday.
Ma. Joy Maredith Madayag, DILG provincial director, said the GPB program was formulated in pursuit of attaining the Philippine Development Plan’s goal for inclusive growth, and to promote good governance.
Under the program, local Poverty Reduction Action Teams of towns and cities will prepare a plan for their poverty reduction projects, submit it to the regional poverty reduction action team, led by the DILG, that will forward it to the national PRAT, Madayag said. .
Last Sunday a baby girl born at the Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital became one of the 100 babies born in state hospitals all over the archipelago to receive the symbolic designation as the country’s “100,000,000th baby”.
The child, named Chonalyn, is the first-born of a 27-year-old domestic helper and the second of her 45-year-old partner, a van driver.
A population of 100 million is a big number for any country and that milestone becomes even more significant for a country where an estimated 40 million of that 100 million live below the poverty line.
Cutting of trees given
BY JUDY PARTLOW
The Energy Development Corporation yesterday said the cutting of trees in Nasuji, Valencia town, Negros Oriental, is covered by permits from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and the Negros Oriental government.
The clarification comes in the heels of a news article of the Philippine Information Agency on the project, quoting environmental advocates during a Kapihan forum last week, who raised some concerns on the project.
The EDC clarified that the project is for its most recent well pad and road construction in the Nasuji area, where 576 trees were affected as part of its Nasulo project, its press release said...