Daily starNegros Oriental


Front Page
Negros Oriental
Star Business
Opinion
Sports
Star Life
People & Events

 

Dumaguete City, Philippines Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Negros Oriental
Button2 men arrested, confess to killing of Silliman coed
ButtonRebels in Guihulngan encounters linked to death of brgy captain, wife
Button
No rights violations in clashes, CHR says
Button
Fire razes P5M trucks, spare parts
ButtonBishop leads ‘Yolanda’ commemoration

2 men arrested, confess to
killing of Silliman coed

BY JUANCHO GALLARDE

Two suspects in the brutal murder of a Silliman University coed were arrested yesterday in Moal-boal, Cebu, by a Sibulan police team, headed by Senior Insp. Antonio Detuya, four days after the incident in Sibulan.

Police identified the suspects as Christopher Bagaan Nerona, 30, who admitted having stabbed and killed Myra Abrenica Gabato, 25, a graduating Business Administration student of SU; and Lelbe Bazar Mabanag, 37, who was allegedly responsible for tying up Melune Abrenica Gabato, younger sister of the fatality, in their apartment at Ablir Street, Barangay Poblacion, Sibulan.

The wives of the suspects are relatives of the victims, the police said.

Rebels in Guihulngan encounters
linked to death of brgy captain, wife
BY GILBERT BAYORAN

Suspected New People’s Army rebels, who figured in two successive encounters with 11th Infantry Battalion soldiers Monday in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, were tagged by a military official in the ambush and killing of a barangay official and his wife, as well as the liquidation of a government militiaman last month.

1Lt. Chino Cornelio, who with his men, figured in two armed engagements Monday, yesterday said members of Leonardo Panaligan Command Sentro De Grabidad platoon, whom they encountered, were responsible for the ambush-slay of barangay chairman George Sadagnot and his wife, Glen, on Oct. 13 in Barangay Tinayunan Hill, Guihulngan City.

Cornelio said the rebel group is also responsible for the summary execution of CAFGU member Joel Villanosa, who was killed Oct. 23 in Brgy. Sikatuna, also in Guihulngan City.

No rights violations
in clashes, CHR says

BY JUDY F. PARTLOW

The Commission on Human Rights said yesterday that there are no reports of human rights violations, so far, on the weekend encounter between government troops and suspected New People’s Army rebels in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental.

CHR-Negros Oriental investigator, Jess Cañete, said he had spoken to barangay officials and residents of Mani-ac and neighboring areas Sunday, hours after two clashes in the barangay and it showed that nobody had complained of human rights violations. Cañete, however said it is still too early to tell. His office is open in case of complaints, he added.

One alleged rebel was killed, and a soldier slightly wounded during the encounters Sunday in Sitios Magkaatip and Nabuswangan in Barangay Mani-ac, where an abandoned camp, believed to be that of the NPA, was discovered.

back to top

Front Page | Opinion | Negros Oriental | Business | Sports
Star Life | People & Events| Archives | Advertise
 
  Email: visayandailystar@yahoo.com